Waves Of Silver

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by michiganwhitetailRLM, Jul 23, 2006.

1. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    Was out fishing the holloway res. lastnight. Sat there with little action for at least 3 hours. i was using bluegill and nightcrawlers but wasnt seein the action im use to. The shad are in there really thick and knew the bigger cats were taking advantage of these waves of silver. I didnt have a net but managed to catch a few shad for bait. It only took about 60 seconds and i had a nice 6 pounder, a number of 3 and 4 pounders and even a walleye!! If you want a bit more action,look for the waves of silver! GOOD LUCK.

2. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    CATFISH BAIT GOLD MINE if i were you i would get some shad and freeze them wile you can

3. michiganwhitetailRLM

State:
    MI
    Hey don! Its kind of ironic that you mention freezing some. Im going out tonight to get some, figured it would be a good reason to try out my new throw net.The shad work really good for catfish, i just wish the things didnt have to be so fragile.

4. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    I dont think the trow net is leagle in mich you might want to look in to that

5. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

No, it's not legal on inland waters. I have one here still brand new in the case. LOL.

6. michiganwhitetailRLM

State:
    MI
    I checked into it before going out lastnight. its not legal in michigan waters so i waded out into the water a bit and got quite a few with a mesh type landing net. Wonder why they sell them here if you arent allowed to use them?

7. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    It's called money Rick. Pure and simple. As strange as it may sound, if there is a way to make a profit in this Country by selling something, An American will do it. Thats what makes this country so great!
    Now, to add my two cents to your Wine and Cheese Party, Progress is a fact of life. It doesn't matter if I like it or not, People in this country will continue to build on land that was once hunted by someone for one simple reason. MONEY! I know it may come as a shock to some on you, but those are the facts pure and simple. I know some farmers around my area, who have lived on the land the own from the time thier parents raise them on the family farm. They swore they would never sell there land and they would live there the rest of thier life.
    Now the land that thier parents bought for $100 an acre, has been sold to developers from any wheres of $5000 to $10,000 an acre and those folks are compfortable living in Florida or NC. Thats progress my friend. It's driven by the almighty dollar, and there isn't a thing you or I can do about.
    Thats America Rick! Land of the free, Home of the Brave and the worshippers of the almighty dollar.
    Have a nice day!
    Sparky

8. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    If the bluegills are not doing any good, try cutting them up and put a gill head on the hook. Works for me when the action is slow.

9. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Cast nets are sold in Michigan for folks who are planning a fishing trip to where they are legal to use, and they are legal in the Great Lakes, Lake St Clair, and the Detroit, St Claire, & St. Mary's rivers- but only for minnows, alewife, smelt, & shad.
    Seines up to 12'X4' are legal here, though, and they work real well in creeks for collecting shiners, chubs, suckers, & the like. They are harder to use successfully in lakes, bigger streams, & rivers, but they will still get you something faster than fishing hook & line.
    The drawback is that you need at least two people, and a third is helpful for putting the take in the bucket.
    You can also catch a ton of crawfish or hellgramites with a seine, but I don't think they can be taken to another body of water- you have to use them where you caught them.
    There are some places you may not take minnows at all, and you can't use a seine on a trout stream, so it's a good idea to check the current DNR Fishing Guide, under "Lawful Fishing Methods", & "Minnows For Personal Use".

10. michiganwhitetailRLM

State:
    MI
    Yea i hear ya sparky! Im not one to say money isnt nice to have, ide just like to see these people put a little of what they take, back into the community or nature! Have you done any fishin out at the holloway res lately?

11. swampthang_matt

swampthang_matt New Member

State:
    georgia
    the people that sell them net are people that want to make some money they don't care if it legal or not.:doubt:

12. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    No I haven't! As a matter of fact, I haven't wet a line in over two weeks. I'm back to work now, so my fishing is going to be limited.
    Sparky