Waves and Channel catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Doyle, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Over and Over I've caught a channel when another boats waves started rocking me. I've tried to copy the action with no luck. I think the under water tubulence helps make channels bite. Have you noticed that?

2. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Yes It seems to stir things up Works when barges come by also

3. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    That has happened to me many times while tightlining for crappie. Also tried to duplicate the action with the rod tip. Not sure it helped.

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    i too have noticed this happening. I think the boat waves move the bait fish out of hiding triggering strikes which is why moving the rod tip doesn't seem to get the same result.

5. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That's been my theory too. It happens to me when I am fishing from shore, so I think it is the effect of the waves on the line itself and not the rod.

A set of waves from a good gust of wind will do it too.

6. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I think that the fish just get so used to boats and what not going by that when one goes by, they know the waves will turn up the bottom a little and make the water cloudy and easy to stalk prey in, which makes the fish more aggressive.

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Well as long as we are tossing theories around.... Have you ever sat in a pool when somebody jumps in? You feel it not just in the waves at the top but through your body. Now if you are sensitive to that like a fish and know that the turbulence may stir the bottom with some succulent morsel or flush out that lil minner they will have heightened awareness. I was sittin in a boat the other night and my partner coughed twice. Each time he did, the shad around us (thousands) al skittered the surface for the 25 yards we could see so they were definitely aware. I don't know of a fisherman that doesn't jiggle their bait when the lake dies down lol!

8. d1d1d

d1d1d New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have noticed the that a passing boat on the river seems
    to stimulate or disperse the fish, while I was fishing from
    the bank. Often a bite would soon follow, sometimes before
    the waves even moved the line.

9. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Most of the time when a barge passes the poles go nuts for a few minutes. I believe this happens because the fish have learned that barges stir up the bottom and provide a fresh food supply. I've fished when you couldn't borrow a bite...let a barge go by and a slam dunk contest starts. I think it also has to do with the vibrations of sound and water, not just water stirring. Years of conditioning..barge traffic..became a dinner bell.
    IMO.
    Don