Waverly Area / White River

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by ThaWstSide, Aug 27, 2008.

1. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Who has fished around the Waverly / White River area?, there is a boat ramp with plenty of bank area fishing on each side of it. I have fished there only once but plan on either tonight or tomorrow night fishing there. Let me know if you have, and if you did any good please. I am trying to get an idea what I can get there besides Drum, and what kind of bait I should try there.

Thanks,
    Jim

2. j-catfish

j-catfish New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have only been there once this year,but we ran up river in a boat. Did manage to catch several channels and 2 flattys all on chubs(live) and shad(cut).There is a boat ramp off 144 about 1-2 miles west of 37,you'll see the sign for a public access site, then turn south at the sign and the road curves back east just follow it all the way back to the ramp.(dont remember the name of the road)Last year and the year bafore I have fished there from the bank by the ramp and caught some nice channels, also have had a couple of broken lines from something that just didnt want to be caught.I would try for some live bait (bluegills ,chubs) but if all else fails try some good old night crawlers(the last flatty I caught was on night crawlers)Hope you get the big one on your trip.

3. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Jerry, thanks for the info. I fished there last week into the evening, had a few hits, but nothing landed. I have yet to actually hook a dang fish this year. I have been out of fishing for a few years now and just got back into it. I am hoping my "luck" turns around sooner than later.

I will be down that way this weekend, if you wanna come fish with me and my pop would love to have some company of fellow catfishers. Hit me up.

See ya,
    Jim

4. Crimsonrain22

Crimsonrain22 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Havent fished at waverly yet this year but I did launch my kayak there once looked like good fishing water. I have fished south of there at the henderson ford bridge and got a few small channels on shrimp.

5. shadgutter

shadgutter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i fish there by boat on a weekly basis, if u are bank fishen walk south of boat ramp until u see a bend in the river and alot of debris. it is the deepest spot by bank, there are 2 white chairs that someone left. if u are in a boat go down river, up river is almost impossible 2 navigate until we get rain. throw a cast net right at the boat ramp and use what u catch 4 bait. if u do not have a net go 2 pay lake by ramp and buy suckers.

6. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    OK, so we fished this spot on Labor Day. The drum were hitting night crawlers, and the smallmouth bass were also hitting night crawlers. Took about 5 minutes after lines hitting the water, but ended up landing a 13 inch smallmouth... Not legal, but beautiful and I did take his picture!

:wink:

7. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I never did like fishing that area... I have caught some fish there.. but not enough to keep me intrested...

8. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    It isn't a real ideal place to fish right now with all the debris (BIG trees) in the water, however fishing there is much better than in Indy cause White River in town has more of an odor, and alot of trash floating around. Takes me a little bit to drive to Waverly vs. in town, but it is quiet, and have had alot more luck catching fish there.

Oh, did I mention I am stuck bank fishing?

9. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    I bank fish also... I would rather fish the 16th st. dam or the chevy dam before wasteing my time at the Waverly access site.. There is a dam at the Harding/ 465 area. But it sets behind that gravel pit but boy oh boy I bet its got monsters there... never hear of it being fished cause all the property around it is private from the pits.. But I guess I could go ask

10. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    I will be fishing the 16th St. Dam this evening, I will be on the south side of it probably about 30 yards down.

11. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    My best luck has come off the rock point casting out to the white water coming off the dam with small bluegill or large creek chubs

12. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    I fished the 16th St. dam area last night, actually just southeast of it. We only caught 2 fish, one was a Channel, the other another Smallmouth Bass. That makes 3 Smallmouth in the past week. They are all hitting on night crawlers....

13. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    Need to get some bluegills or big creek chubs