waverly area missouri river

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catfishscotty, Dec 13, 2007.

1. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    hello i plan on fishing the missouri river down at waverly would just like know and hear from people what i can expect. whats the ramp like, does it have lights for loading and unloading at night. is there anything i need to watch out for ect. i plan on using shad and carp . would just like some feed back of the fishing down there. thanks scotty

2. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    The ramp over at port of waverly ( the old ramp) is not as steep as the new one ,and i think there is lights there too,Down there there is more sandbars than up at lexington ,you need to fish them where they go down into the main channel ( for blues)For flats i fish up on top of the sand bars closer to the banks,As soon as it warms up we can head out and hit some spots.

3. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    thanks robert. sounds like a plan to me ive been chasing blues the last couple years. but im ready to concentrate on flatheads again caught alot of nice ones off the bank in the missouri up towards sibely area and little blue. im itching to learn it and take my boat out and really get after them. im just so afriad of tearing my motor up on them dam wing dykes. ill prolly feel more comfortable after going with you and u show me what to look out for. thanks scotty

4. roughneckcatman

roughneckcatman New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    I think once you go out with someone who does alot of blue fishing you will have no fear of any damage.:smile2: I hit more rocks with my motor when i was flathead fishing than i have chasing the ol mighty blues. Just be careful if you like flathead fishing cause once you catch a blue over 60lbs you may give up on the flatheads. I know i did

5. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Yea i here you craig ,but theres is a flathead in that missouri river that will knock the you know what out of the state record(sorry scott) And i want to catch him.

6. roughneckcatman

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    Yeah i agree there is some monster flatheads in the mighty mo. I just catch alot more big blues than i ever could catch big flatties. I fish alot of tourneys and if you cant bring some weight to the scales you dont fair so well around here. Oh, and the big blues fight far better than any flathead could even think about.

7. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    There are a lot more blues in our waters and provide a lot of fun. They spin and fight awesome but being a schooling fish, we can catch a lot of them most of the time. Both Robert and I have them in our avatar because they‘re our PB for size but that's it, we're still both flathead men even after catching large blues. Look around, most of the avatars are blues, blues are the most common and eating machines, making them the easiest to catch of large catfish, that’s why tourneys are mostly won with blues. The flathead is a loner and by far the most difficult to catch. Granted the overall fight put up by both would just barely go to the blue, at the end of the fight when you bring a flathead up close they will thrash back and forth fighting far more than a blue but lack in the early part of the fight where you know you have a blue on. I’ll take a big flathead anytime over a blue, anymore seems like any decent size flathead is a trophy in my book. Large blues? Just look around, they're everywhere.
    Flatheads rule!!!

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Thats true the blue is a majority on the lower half of the missouri river. Once you start getting up around st.joe though there is a lot more flathead water. Atleast thats the way it seems to me. Now there are blues up there thats for sure. I remember everyone telling me back in the 80's and early 90's before the flood that the blues pretty much stopped at kansas city and from there on north it was mostly flatheads.

9. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Very true Josh, above St. Joe is some awesome flathead waters as well as the upper pools like from Saverton up on the Mississippi. I grew up on the Missouri chasing flatheads above St. Joe and look forward again to fishing those waters this coming year. To me they’re the ultimate challenge in catfishing.

10. roughneckcatman

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    Well this may been true in the past but there are alot of big blues pulled out from St.joseph clear up to Nebraska. I personally caught and seen alot of blues over 50lbs from this stretch of river just last summer in the tourneys. 3 of which were in the 70lb range and two that were over 80lbs. Those are just the ones that i seen or caught. Regretfully the 80lb'ers were not mine. But i'll get one this summer.:big_smile:

11. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    If you fellas like to chase flatheads You need to hit the Kansas River the stretch from Kaw point up to I-435 is best suited for bigger boats. From above 435 to Lawrence is much shallower and sandy but still holds some huge flatheads, its easier navigated with a smaller craft

12. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Brad, my grandfather fished several of the feeders to the Kansas, pulled many of 70 lb. er’s from those waters. Lots of big flats, back as a little tot that was my big excitement to run lines with him, seine bait and pull leaches off my legs while seining… hey, it’s all part of the fun. Been well… around 40 years since then but the memories are like yesterday.

13. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Looking back at those times when we were all influenced by someone who shared their love for fishing is an experience not forgotten. I have a cousin who fishes those waters and caught a 56 lb. flathead a couple years back, showed it off a bit then released it back just as healthy as can be. He remembers those large flatheads our grandfather caught and I think it’s great we share those stories as to educate folks into being stewards of the resources we share. Hopefully we’ll still be around to again go out and catch flatheads in the 70 lb. range. My vision would be to see weights exceeding the present tournaments but by flatheads where it once was. That will be sweet.

14. dank1

dank1 New Member

State:
    missouri
    scott i live at waverly spend most of my time on the water here this time of year use the upper ramp its better you will find sand flats serveral dikes if you stay when navigating the river to channel side ussually marked green or red shad & carp are good baits but skipjack works the best there is alot of good productive water here it has produced alot of monster fish over the years depending on what time of year you are here depends on where or when you fish right now start looking behind the deep dikes and channel chanel holds true for most of year sand bars are good mid june trough sept catch alot of big fish in sallow water in these months also i think you left your name and phone number at my bait shop in waverly will be calling to help you

15. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Any good places to bank fish there or Lexington?

16. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Kevin ,if your standing at the ramp at lexington walk to the first dike east ,i have caught some good fish there this time of year ,been a few years not fishing it ,but it was a 60 ft hole then.

17. dank1

dank1 New Member

State:
    missouri
    kevin you can fish up from upper boat ramp on bank or around lower ramp best places to fish are down but permission from farmers is hard to geti have caught alot of small to medium size fish up from upper boat rampabou 1/4 mile you can drive along railroad part of way

18. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    SOunds like a winner thanks.