Waverly 8/15

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Chris Baker, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Chris Baker

Chris Baker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Who all is going? I am meeting my partner about 1:00 to get ready to head up there. Should be a good tourny!!! Good luck to who ever shows. I hope the fish coopperate with my plan.

2. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city

3. camochris2

camochris2 New Member

State:
    nebraska city nebraska
    well how did it go down there

4. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    I heard 60ish lbs won the tourney, checked the website and no results yet.

5. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Had to have been a long wet night for the guys who fished it!!!

6. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    62 #s won it with big fish being 55#s! There werent too many fish caught at all.

7. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city
    sounds like the big fish on the missouri river just aren't hungry

8. Chris Baker

Chris Baker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We got fifth with 32 pounds. One fish. Broke a real good one off that would have put us way past first and maybe big fish. Also had one that hit on a whole skip and didn't make the hook. Crushed it off right behind the hook. It was a little wet though, and on the way back to the ramp it was real wet. Had a good time as always at Doc's tourny and hope I have a chance to fish again next year. I think there was 37 boats.

9. Bigbluefisherman

State:
    Missouri

We had a similar night to yours Chris, We had 3 fish, but we didn't even weigh them. We had a 8-10 blue and 2 small flathead. We lost two fish aswell, one of them Im not sure how big he was, but he wasn't small, and the other my partner got him right behind the boat and he spit the hook. We never did see that fish, but he was decent (20 # range I would guess) It just sucks to know you might have had a winning stringer of fish, when you get in a see that 62#s wins it. But that is why its called fishing, not catching! Stuff like that happens unfortunatly.

10. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city
    the last tourney we had i had a stringer just like yours a blue 8-10 lbs and 2 flathead that were small.. we ended up with 14lbs and 4 th place.. the guys that won had 2 blues and a total weight of 114 lbs.. i wasn't going to bother with weighing my fish but after i seen there was only 3 big fish caught i'm glad i did when they handed out the money i didn't think i was in it.. congrats on the 5th place finish

11. Bigbluefisherman

State:
    Missouri
    I checked first to see what had already been weighed in and it would have taken at least 30 #s to get any money, so I decided to pitch them back in the river.

12. Chris Baker

Chris Baker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the congrats. We did have fun even with the bone head move we pulled. It was a long night especially after I figured out why we broke that big fish off. Those are some good tournys with lots of good fisherman in them. I wish he had more than two a year but maybe that is what makes them so good. If I had to pick a tourniment or two to go to it would be his August tourny and maybe the Cabelas if it is at Waverly.

13. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    How'd you break the fish off? Enquiring minds want to know.

14. Chris Baker

Chris Baker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well a gar hit the bait and then never moved the rod again. I guess he was just down there chewing on the bait. Where we were fishing the boat moved side ways alot even with a back anchor out. Well we went to rebait and theres ole touthy one. He tangled up one of my rods also so I cut my line and pulled in my hook and weight by hand. While I was retieing mine we didn't think to retie the other rod that the gar was on. Then the next time that rod got hit was the one we broke off. He took drag for a little bit and I made like three cranks on the reel and away he went hook in his mouth. We both always retie especially in a tourny but I guess we were more interested in getting some bait back in the water as we had just cought the 32#. Hard lesson learned and like I said it was a costly bone head move.