Waurika Lake Bank fishing report.

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Delsevier, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Delsevier

Delsevier New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I am new here, but thought that I may be able to pick up some tips and possibly turn somebody on to some ideas while I am at it. Was out at the lake for three days (June 7,8,9, 2009) and bank fished with Rod and Reel and two limb-lines as well. Fished crayfish almost the entire time I was out but due to the family was not able to watch lines like a hawk so I missed a ton of bites/fish. Five good channel cats, three drum(One 5lbs+ on 4lb test ultralight), and one turtle were the totals. The cats included one ~8lb female full of roe, and descending weights to the males down to 4lbs. All catches were on crayfish (tons off the rocks right now) and only turtle bites on the shad(yes, I know I was fishing shallow but without a boat, what are you going to do?) Bites were happening frequently but pretty much occurred just before sunset into ~10:00 PM and from 9:00AM to 1:00PM. The other windows in between proved dead for fishing. Plenty of people out running jugs and trotlines, only saw smaller stuff coming off of those.

2. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I fish out at waurika every now and then and usually do pretty decent on blues and hybrids.. when i head out there i usually bring a pair of chest waders so i can get out a lil bit further and usually fish off of windy points or where the baitfish are..

If i know im not going to be able to catch my rod when i get a bite Ill go with a circle hook and let it do the setting for me.. :wink:

where on waurika did you fish and when are you going again?

welcome to the boc !

Ken

3. Delsevier

Delsevier New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Went out to the jetty beside the swim beach on Kiowa 1. The shad were sporadic under the overhanging willows and I was on the side of the jetty away from the swim beach by campsite # 132. Almost all of the crayfish were picked off the rocks on the jetty at night. Can't go out again till the 20th or so, but I am learning to use those circle hooks, just figure some of the bites were too small to link up on.

By the way, thanks.

4. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    did you fish throughout the entire night as well? I usually have really good luck on the bigger blues at night on shad out there also

5. Delsevier

Delsevier New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I did fish the entire night, but the bite died off and I was only about in 6 foot of water. I saw no blues and the turtles were hurting the shad I threw out(fresh catch)

6. Bullheaded

Bullheaded New Member

State:
    Norman Ok
    Welcome to the BOC Delsevier. Thanks for the information.

7. Delsevier

Delsevier New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Going out on the evening of the fifth and will be there all week. Hope to catch some summer cats roaming around. Going to run limblines and rod and reel with crawfish and cut bait. Hope I get into some decent ones.

8. Delsevier

Delsevier New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Had plenty of time and opportunity to catch them, was sitting in the wrong spot and/or using the wrong bait for it though. For three nights only got two channels and one blue. The first channel was ~6-7lbs. The blue was pushing 9lbs and was right behind the channel (10 minutes). The second night was a blank (had trouble getting any bait so I used cut sunfish... lines were empty next morning) and the third night garnered a small channel early in the night. The bigger ones were caught on crawfish (large crawfish), the little one was on a limbline baited with Berkely Gulp lumps (supposedly chicken liver flavored). I know.... but I found a bag of them on the rocks and thought I might as well try them since someone else bought me the bait ;). Well turns out that it does work, but it works lousy. The lumps were flesh colored and had a horrid smell, nothing like chicken liver. If you ask me they smelled like rancid vienna sausages. Kind of wierd to have Berkely stamped on the side of the bait you are using. I will never dish out my cash for that stuff. I think it was mostly bait issues that caused the low numbers, but I learned some things and caught a couple.

9. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    sometimes thats all that matters...

how was the water level out there? I may have to make a trip out there soon..