wattsbar catfishing

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by battman, Jul 2, 2009.

1. battman

battman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    anyone fishin watts bar lately? caught 8 cats over 15lbs last weekend. had to move round several time but finally found them.

2. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    Went Sunday 29th used chicken liver we caught about 20 blues but nothing over 1.5lb good fun anyway got any tips?

3. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    Watts Bar is my favorite fishing hole but I re-broke a rib in june and can not cast or handle the boat. Hopefully I can give You a report soon. If you want biguns use bream or skipjack. Since the fishing area at kingston steam plant closed there are not many places to catch decent sized fish from the bank.

4. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    Went yesterday July 6th,7th and caught around 40 cats around 3.lb. We were using liver they were hitting around 6 ft down using a float and they were hitting while the bait was going to the bottom.

5. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    when we going fishing presh?? lol :big_smile::wink::wink:

6. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey I wanna go too...Where is Wattsbar in relation to where I'm @ in Hartsville Chad???

7. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    i think its southeast from us towards chat?? not sure though

8. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    its between knoxville and chatanooga!! for you probably 2.5 hrs?? if you go 40 it would take you abbout 1.5 to get to the 75 split towards chattown!! i think itds i-75 anyways, then i dont really know from there

9. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Too far..:sad2:

10. Skunk_Ape

Skunk_Ape New Member

State:
    tenn.
    I fished the Emory River section of Watts Bar the other day and caught a 3-1/2 lb. channel from the bank fishing for bluegill. I caught enough bluegill to make a mess, then used one of the smaller one's fillet on the bottom and got the channel. Also caught two more channels, one about 10" and another about 14". Kept the 14 incher and the other one. It's probably not gonna kill us to eat a few catfish from Watts Bar each year.

11. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I HAVE ATE WATTS BAR CATS FOR 50 YEARS. i FEEL CERTAIN MY HEART IS GOING TOGET ME BEFORE THE FISH DO.
    IT WAS ON THE NEWS TODAY. EMORY IS CLOSED AGAIN FROM THE SPILL ABOUT 1 MILE UP RIVER SO THEY CAN USE SOME SPECIAL EQUIPMENT TO GET THE ASH OUT OF THE RIVER.

12. festus

festus New Member

Catmaster, below Ft. Loudoun Dam and below Watts Bar Dam are both great for catfish. But if you want go to Watts Bar Reservoir, I suggest you go as far south as you can get if you plan on eating catfish. At least try to stay away from Kingston Steam Plant as Craddock said. If you're in that area, it's best to stay at least a few miles upstream from KSP, either the Clinch or Emory Rivers. Don't know how the cats are hitting below Melton Hill Dam, which is technically a headwater of Watts Bar Lake, but I have caught plenty there before.

13. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    fort loudon dam is the tennessee river arm of watts bar headwaters also. Depends on your location. Both lakes are good catfish fisheries. I stay away from the clinch because it comes right by the bomb plants in oak ridge. I haven't heard any stories lately but several years ago a lot of fish were caught out of the clinch covered with cancers and open sores. All of the palutants in watts bar were put there by our government and kingston has proven how they will lie to us about it.

14. festus

festus New Member

Craddock, I've caught a few cats below M.H. Dam this year but I gave them away to other nearby fishermen if they were big enough to keep. They all looked healthy, but you can't really see poison.

Are the fish in the Little Emory and Big Emory from the sand bar upstream OK to eat? That's about as far downstream as I even fish anymore (Sand Bar), at least eat the fish.

15. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I eat them regularly out of the emory. there is little palution in those rivers. Little river begins at the bridge on 27 and is only about 4 miles long. It is formed from clear mountain water. emory is formed at gobey junction from the obed river and gobey creeks. both these streams are relitively pure. Probably get some mine water run off from both but there has been no mining in the basins for nearly 40 years. the emory is about 15 miles total. The sand bar is a favorite spot for me but can't jug there because it is so close to the spill. I do not believe there is anything in the ash that will harm you. The only fish kill was during the sunami during the spill washed fish into feilds where they were left high and dry. If you go past the sand bar to the first house on the left there is a 5 foot stump in the edge of thier yard under water. It always holds a couple of good cats.

16. festus

festus New Member

The only concern about the upper part of the Emory would be the sewer plant in Harriman. As far as I know, the Little Emory section is ok, but it's really full of silt from erosion. I have fished the Little Emory far upstream from the Hwy 61 and Hwy 27 bridges, halfway up Coal Hill Road to Coalfield. There's some beautiful scenery on the flowing parts of Little Emory, particularly after it leaves Coalfield and Adcock Hollow down to Fox Bottoms. There are some nice bullheads and even small channel cats in the creek section, maybe up to 3-4 lbs., also some bass in there 3-4 lbs. I have also fished the Emory and Obed around Nemo and also Daddy's Creek, of course this isn't part of Watts Bar and there's some monster muskies in there, and even a stray rainbow trout occasionally.

Thanks for the tip on the stump below the sand bar, Craddock. I've probably fished there before. I can see your point, jugging the Emory would be difficult past the sand bar. One bait unknown to most people in that area for catfish is muscadine grapes. I had a friend tip me about that. I have muscadines growing in my backyard, and cats and carp will hit them. Two really ripe wild muscadines on a big hook is deadly on catfish. Of course, they won't be getting ripe for a month or so, and they're only in season for a few weeks. Around the Little Emory/Big Emory junction near the old railroad bed used to be thousands of muscadines. Well, actually, they're scattered up and down both sides of Little Emory/Big Emory. You ought to try them for bait sometimes.

17. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    Never tried muscadines for bait. I just wait for the cats to get drunk on them and get careless. I catch one or two every year now that smells like a brewery. I thought it amazing they will bite down on every muscadine to burst it before they swallow. I have not gotten to go this year due to my ribs not fusing back after my heart surgery and i have rebroke the one they crushed during surgery twice this summer. I hope to get some fall fishing in though. There are some huge muskie or jack above oakdale also. I saw a 56 incher come out of there last week. I always thought the creek from coalfield to 27 was rock creek. I use to spend a lot of time wading it for bass. some good bass fishing there.

18. festus

festus New Member

Bitter Creek empties into the Little Emory right at the end of Coal Hill Road. The photo below is made up toward the Coalfield side. This little hole of water is about 8' to 10' deep. People still swim there, and I heard of a 4 lb. smallmouth caught there last year.

19. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    Been there caught a lot of bass there. that creek is good for small mouth all the way to coalfield. can also find a few in bitter creek. either one is a good place to trap minnows.

20. festus

festus New Member

I just sent you a PM about catfishing around Morgan and Roane counties.