Watts bar

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by craddock1, Mar 12, 2007.

1. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I went to Kingston steam plant today. caught 2 skip jack right after I got there. fished 2 more hours without a bite. I went up clinch river and put out a few jugs. 1.5 hours without a bite. I went back to the steam plant. as I pulled in a guy on the bank caught 4 skipjack in 4 cast. I fished there another hour without a bite. the guy on the bank never caught another one either. tough fishing but better than sitting in front of the idiot box:big_smile: .

2. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the post. Im planning on fishing Watts Bar & Chickamauga next week from Thursday to Sunday.

3. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I went to kingston steam plant yesterday (monday) fished sabiki rigs and white twisters for 4 hours. caught 1 striper and my grandson caught 1 striper. no other hits.
    we went to fort loudon tail waters today. fished with jigs, sabiki rigs and whole frozen shad. fished 3 to 6 pm without a nibble. water temp at the dam was 54.

4. FAT_CAT

FAT_CAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    went up to the lock today and caught about 30 stripers....12-20in. range. bunch of skips too, right at sunset they started running hard.

5. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I WENT TO KINGSTON STEAM PLANT TODAY AND AS MY LUCK GOES THE SKIPJACK MOVED OUT AS I WAS WALKING UP THE BANK. I WATCHED A MAN CATCH 4 AND THROW THEM ON THE BANK AS I WAS WALKING UP. I ASKED IF HE INTENDED TO USE THEM AND HE SAID NO. I PICKED THOSE 4 UP AND STARTED FISHING. 3 TO 7 PM AND NOT A HIT. CATS WERE HITTING GREAT BUT ALL I HAD WAS A SABIKI RIG FOR SKIPPIES. I NOW HAVE 4 IN THE FREEZER.

6. TnShooter

TnShooter New Member

State:
    E. Tennessee
    Nice to see another Kingston Steam Plant fisher.
    I go there a lot. Maybe we'll see each other there some time.

7. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am there semi-occasionally fishing from under the I-40 bridge for carp, but if there are some nice cats I will have to throw out a few more rods.

8. TnShooter

TnShooter New Member

State:
    E. Tennessee
    I've seen a 29Lb. caught on jugs just before the I-40 bridge.
    I've seen many 15+ lbs pulled from the outlet channel.
    Next time you head that way email me.Maybe we'll
    catch a bigin', or maybe not. Most of the time
    I catch something ...!!Drum!!...

9. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I went to Kingston steam plant this morning looking for skipjack. no water running at either dam near here. fished for 2 hours without a hit. I went up to the wall and got a cooler full of shad in short order. I brought them home and put them in the freezer then headed to melton hill dam. folks were catching lots of skippies against the wall but I left my boat at home and couldn't get near the wall. after 2 hours without a hit I went back to the steam plant. still nothing. this morning I caught 3 big crappie and 15 or 20 pound size red horse. this afternoon there was a big fish feeding on the point at the steam plant. just before I gave up on skippies he came to the surface just feet away from me and looked me in the eye. it was at least a 30 pound flat head. I am going to start taking a big fish rod with me.

10. TnShooter

TnShooter New Member

State:
    E. Tennessee
    Thanks for the info.....
    I had every intention of going today.
    But we had a family medical emergency.
    Seems that many people like the point
    by the yellow barrier. I personally like
    30 yards past the gate, or the wall
    but if you hook a big one good luck it's a long haul from
    the side of the STEEP bank. I doubt you get any thing past 20lb up
    those banks.

11. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I forgot to mention i saw a guy hook a spoonbill from the wall. it came up once looked about 5 feet long bill and all. never saw it again.

12. TnShooter

TnShooter New Member

State:
    E. Tennessee
    sounds about right, I don't see how he'd get it up the wall.
    Did he actually get it to the wall?
    Or did it surface on the retrieve and then never to be seen again?

13. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    it came up and rolled about 30 feet from the wall then went down in the boils. i think it scared the guy when he saw the size of the thing. that was the closest i have been to one since i was a kid snatching in guntersville.

14. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    i went to fort loudon tail waters yesterday afternoon. only one turbine running. i fished from 4:30 until 8:30. only got one hit. i saw lots of yellow bellies and a few cats caught. a little kid gave me 3 skippies. i soaked a piece for 2 hours without a hit. the web page says 2 turbines running today. i hope to get back over with my boat today.

15. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    A friend called and said the skippies were running at melton hill. I got there at 3:00 and fished till 8:00 caught 4 skippies and 1 - 2 pound stripper. i tied up to the dam and fished right along the wall in the boils. people all around me were catching tons of skippies. i caught 1 in 4 hours. when i got ready to leave i shot the boils and shut down and drifted. i caught 2 on the first drift came back up and started again caught another then the next one broke my line. it apears i had just been out of throwing distance of them all afternoon. I saw people catch hundreds while i was just out of reach of them.

16. TnShooter

TnShooter New Member

State:
    E. Tennessee
    I made it to the Steam plant at 1:00am Sat. morning.
    Got one hit......And I missed it...
    Fished for 2 hours, No cats caught.
    I'll be there all next weekend. So maybe then.

17. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    i went to melton hill tailwaters this afternoon. one turbine was running 4 to 7 pm. the skippies came in with the current. i filled a cooler from shore in short order. as i was leaving the skippies were so thick you could almost walk on them. next week is catfish week.

18. TnShooter

TnShooter New Member

State:
    E. Tennessee
    If you are out at Melton Hill, or the Steam plant
    PM me. I may stop by and try my luck. I wanted to go
    Thursday but it looks like the weather has other plans.

19. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    my wife wants to fish little emory with me. sunday and monday is all i have to go next week. we will be putting in at anchor ramp. she has slacked off since her older sister moved near us. they love to shop together. I love for er to fish with me but i am really glad she has her sister back.

20. TnShooter

TnShooter New Member

State:
    E. Tennessee
    I'm not sure where the anchor ramp is, but I hope you two catch a bunch.
    Good luck, and remember if it ain't in the water they ain't bittin'.