Watts Bar

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by craddock1, May 14, 2006.

1. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    Hoot came up last wednesday to catch some cats. we fished watts bar lake emory river arm thursday and friday with jugs and reel and rod. i think we caught 6 small ones. hoot brought those florida hurricane winds with him. it made the fishing rough at best. saturday we tried the fort loudon tail race with the same luck. plenty of wind only two small cats. there was only one generator partially running. hoot caught several skipjack for me. although we didn't catch any fish to speak of we had a great time.
    my wife and hoots wife ran around to all the yard sales while we fished. they headed back to florida this morning. they will be missed. can't wait to see them again.

2. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    i went out monday evening and put my jugs out. caught 9 good fish. went back tuesday morning and had 7 keepers. first good bite i have had this year but it was the best in 2 years. no big ones but on monday i had a bream on one it wandered away so i just let it go. just before dark i went hunting for it to check the bait. a man who lives on the lake was yelling and pointing at the jug. i picked up the jug. it was empty. i went over to where the man was he said the jug had went across the bay and back twice mostly under water all the while. it was a 30 inch noodle and the bay was about 200 feet wide at that spot. i had bream on 4 cut skip jack and whole shad on the other 30. i caught several bait size pounders a couple of which i left on overnight. no luck with them.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Ever fish Dallas Bay? I remember camping & fishing there over 50 years ago. Don't remember the name of the place, but they had cabins, and spaces to set up tents. We stayed in a tent. Unfortunately, we were mainly bass fishing, so I never caught any REAL fish.

4. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    It was a pleasure being there. We are going to hit it right again one of these days and catch some monsters again. I am bringing a coat next time. We had to stop at a yard sale and buy a coat. Lots difference in temperature up in those mountains than here at 20 ft above sea level.

5. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    jtrew i never heard of dallas bay but if it is on watts bar i have probably fished it.
    hoot i wish you were here. sorry about the weather and the fishing. i got another story.
    i went monday evening after the traffic started slowing. put my jugs near the launch in little emory. used shad, cut skip jack and live bream for bait. caught 8 before dark between 1 and 4 pounds. released them little fellers. i had a jug float over against the bank so i went after it. before i got to it i saw one stand up in the channel. i just eased on in to the bank and picked up the one i was after. when i turned around a pontoon had pulled up to the one with the fish and grabbed it. i took off after them gun in hand but there were so many people out it wasn't safe to shoot. had hopes of makeing that pontoon lean a little at least. i called twra while i was chasing them and was told we have gone home for the day. nothin we can do. my little motor just wouldn,t keep up so after a couple of miles i lost sight of them.
    tuesday morning i went to pick up the jugs. some had gone to the emory one was against an island near where i last saw the pontoon. it made # 32 of 33. i went a couple of miles farther then stopped deciding the one missing was the one the pontoon got. looked some more on the way back to the launch then came on home. about 3:00 pm our door bell rang. the first thing i saw was my jug when i opened the door. a man who lives near by and fishes the same area stopped to return it. his first words were frank you missed it again. then he began telling me where he had found it. i hadn't gone in to that slough. he said it had a blue on it that had to weigh more than 50 pounds and when he tried to lift it into the boat my wire leader broke. it was at least 3 miles from where i put it in and in a huge bay with a small opening to the river. oh well.

6. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    went to little emory yesterday. put my jugs in in site of the launch as i could hear thunder. caught about a 2 pound channel while i was puting them out. storm arrived and i went in. while i was loading the boat i saw one traveling but i don't go out in lightning. went back this morning and had a 13 and two 2's. the storm lasted until 10 last night it may have slowed things.

7. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I am catching channels almost exclusivey the past couple of weeks. few blues and no flats. few 20 pounders but nothing big. fish patterns are all screwed up. having to keep 5 pounders to eat.

8. Tennfisher

Tennfisher New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Jerry there may be a "Dallas Bay" on Watts Bar, but the only one I know of around here is on Chickamauga Lake, the next impoundment downstream on the Tennessee River below Watts Bar.

Tennfisher

9. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    i sold my store day before yesterday. retired again!!!!!!!!! don't know what i was thinking going back into business with my health as bad as it is. went to little emory yesterday afternoon. caught enough bream to bait all my jugs. caught a 7 pound blue just before dark. going this morning to round up jugs. we had a large fish fry in june and used all my catfish so i am in need. will repport later.

10. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    caught 6 good bait size channels from 1 to 10 pounds. no blues or flat and i had all live bream on 38 jugs. local residents tell me a commercial fisherman is fishing my hole once a week. oh well i have fish in the freezer again.

11. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    Went to little emory yesterday afternoon. barely got my jugs out before a thunderstorm ran me off the lake. I baited with bream whole shad and cut skipjack.
    went back this morning. i had a 1 and a 2 pounder channel. a 14 pound blue with the tail of a 1 pound blue sticking out of his mouth. i believe i had caught the 1 pounder and then he swallowed it. also had a 16 pound flathead. probably another good flattie tangled in a log jam. i could feel him down there but couldn't get him out.

12. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    went to little emory yesterday. was run in by a thunderstorm second week in a row. went back this morning and picked up the jugs. had a 10 and a 38 pound flathead and 5 small channels. the 38 was full of eggs.:sweat:

Attached Files:

13. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    Took my grandson to little emory yesterday. bream were slow we only caught 20 all afternoon. we caught several 2 to 4 ounce cats all channels. we put out 34 jugs baited with live bream, whole shad and cut skipjack. went back and picked them up this morning. we had an 8 pound and a 10 pound flat head and 4 small channels. this is 2 weeks in a row i haven't caught a blue

Attached Files:

14. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    Yesterday i went down little emory to emory river then up the emory 3 miles. put my 35 jugs in 8 to 10 feet of water next to 50 to 60 feet. baited with bream cut skip jack and whole shad. went back this morning had a 2.5 and a 3 pound channel. I took off more bait this morning than the fish did last night. several of the bream were still alive. all the shad and skipjack was still on the hooks. this is the first time this year i have ad to remove bait.

15. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Sounds like your doing better than some of us, have you been able to catch any skip jack lately or are these from last spring? I would drive a while if the skips were biting .

16. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I am using frozen skip jack. havent heard of them running anywhere around here.

17. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    i went to little emory kast nght and bank fished for a few hours. used bream for bait. it is so hot here i waited till almost dark to go. never got a hit by midnight so we came home. wife went with me this time. sure was nice just to sit there and listen to the quiet.

18. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I went to little emory to try some bank fishing after the sun went over. my wife and i had been fishing about 15 minutes when some guy came by idleing a 225 on a bass boat. we had floats on our lines and he seemed to make a point of going between the bank and our floats. i told my wife if she felt her line jerk just release it. he waved as he ran over our lines he got mine and i gave him the whole spool. needed new line on that reel anyway. it stalled his engine and he started cussing. why didn't you pull in your line. my response was you have a big boat with a big motor why didn't you go around our lines. when we left he was in the water with a knife cutting a 100 or so yards of 20 pound test off his prop. @!%&^#$*&^ idiot. i am sure he saw our lines out there and probably thought that big motor would just chew it up.

19. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    OMG! And I thought I'd run into some whackos out there. Why didn't you pull in your line he said?! LOL! It amazes me how many people think they own the lake!

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    He's lucky that's all that happened. I probably would have been 'trying for that big one' with an 8 ounce sinker. That'll leave a mark!