Watts Bar Lake catfishing

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by battman, Oct 18, 2008.

1. battman

battman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    this is my first post so im a newbie. anybody out ther fish wattsbar? i usually fish bout three times a week.any tips of any kind would be greatly appreciated.

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    never been to wattsbar here its great though some one will be here shortly that has fished there

3. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    Battman what part of watts bar do you fish. i live in wartburg just north of watts bar. I do most of my fishing from caney creek north but avoid caney creek itself because of the sewage treatment plant at the head of the creek. last time i fished caney creek I caught 22 nice cats overnight 4 of which were dead before i got there in the morning. I am most comfortable on emory river. only problem there are the many shallow sand bars. Big cats though.

4. battman

battman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    have fished mostly from euchee maria to wattsbar damn and around bayside marina. the fishing around BAYSIDE IS PRETTY GOOD,ROUND EUCHEE NOT SO GOOD RIGHT NOW. HAVE HAD A LOT OF LUCKAROUND BARKER ISLAND TOO,STARTING TO EXPLORE THE AREA BETWEEN EUCHEE AND BAYSIDE TO SEE HOW THE FISHING IS THERE.:roll_eyes:

5. battman

battman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    you keep behavin and ill take you fishin again and maybe well have better luck next time.

6. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I fish watts bar, and have had the most luck In the river below watts bar dam.

7. battman

battman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    hey jason,hows it goin? havnt posted in a while , busted a pontoon when we were pullin houseboat to put moter back on. (fishin gods must be angry with me! haha!). have you been fishing lately? went a couple of weeks ago but didnt do squat! welcome,hope we can share info and tips.

8. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I fished this year above the kingston steam plant skimmer dyke. Last night the main dyke for the ash sludge gave way. It was 70 acres of water covered ash it damaged 11 houses and took one from its foundation into the road. several of the houses had ash to the eves. there was a small island right on the river channel. The island is in the river completely gone along with millions of tons of ash. don't know how much of the channel was filled but the river is now running over a shallow mud flat nowhere near the channel. The river was 40 feet deep in the area now you couldn't get a boat up the channel. this was a great spot because a huge bay down stream narrowed to near the river channel width then opened into a huge bay upstream. the fish were concentrated there especially in the spring. Boats, docks, and boat houses were destroyed 1/2 mile away. Kids were going through fields in the area today picking up huge fish that were washed up. TVA says as far as they could tell there was little harm to the fish.

9. battman

battman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    has anybody heard what the long term effect from the ash dump is going to be,if any?dont normally fish that far up,but wondering what gonna happen downstream where i fish and have my house boat.anybody heard anything?:sad2:

10. limted

limted New Member

State:
    indiana
    I used to fish watts bar lots but dont much anymore becuse they closed acess to shore fishing on turbin side any one know if they will ever reopen it I guess they are lettin terroriest win by doing thing like this

11. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I never fish that far down the lake any more but I am forced to hunt a new spot where i can leave my jugs overnight and find them the next morning. Emory has been my spot for several years but now it is closed from the clinch 4 miles up river. That rules out little emory also because the cats will take the jugs too far down river. I just moved from the little emory to the emory last year because of excessive siltation in little emory. Think I am going to try at harriman this year.

12. limted

limted New Member

State:
    indiana
    What about the the clinch river below steam plant in kingston is it open for fishing also is turbin side below watts bar dam near ten mile open yet its been closed for few years now these are my favorite spots wont be long till they will no good fishing spots left

13. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    The clinch is still open just have to maneuve around the skimmers in a boat. The turbine side of the dam is still closed to bank fishing. A TVA cop told me it will not reopen. TVA has built a metal building on the fishermans parking lot.

14. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    TWRA Response Concerning Ash Release From Kingston Steam Plant
    The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA) has been involved in response activities including assessment of the initial impact to wildlife resources, public safety and boating, and initiating sampling to track long-term effect on wildlife and habitat since the massive release of fly ash on Dec. 22, 2008. The release came from the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) Kingston Steam Plant on Watts Bar Reservoir.

The Kingston Steam Plant is located on a peninsula where the Emory River joins the Clinch River on Watts Bar Reservoir. This area is popular for fishing, boating and wildlife viewing.

TWRA advises until further notice that fishing and boating should be avoided in the lower section of the Emory River, and that existing advisories for Watts Bar should be followed. In the Clinch River arm of Watts Bar, which would include the lower Emory River, there is a fish consumption advisory against eating striped bass and a precautionary advisory for catfish and sauger. A precautionary advisory means that children, pregnant women, and nursing mothers should not consume the fish species named. All other persons should limit consumption of the named species to one meal per month.

Beginning the week of Jan. 5, TWRA will be collecting bass and catfish and comparing fish tissue results to existing data for those species. TWRA expects to resample on a semiannual basis. Assessment of the impact of this release on wildlife resources and habitat will require repeated sampling and evaluation over the next three to five years.

TWRA will coordinate with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) and other resource agencies to assess the long-term impact of contaminants on other wildlife resources in the area including mammals, bird life, and aquatic species.

15. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Thanks for the follow up Frank. Hopefully the problems will remain contained within the already contaminated Watts Bar vicinity. I do hope they get that reservoir cleaned up someday though :sad2:

16. limted

limted New Member

State:
    indiana
    What is a ash spill where did ash come from

17. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    The ash is from a TVA coal fired geenerating plant. I do not believe it is going to damage the encironment any more than it has already. Naturally the environmentalist who have gotten this country in the economic mess it is in are screaming and bringing lawyers in from as far as new york to convince locals to sue. TVA jumped in when this happened and rented a motel for those affected and has as far as i know have found suitable housing for them till this is cleaned up and thier homes replaced or repaired. They have built an under water rock dam that eventually will house tons of catfish. As i understand it the ash will be vaccumed out of the river and my favorite island rebuilt. just hoping they build all the underwater part with big rock to house my catfish.

18. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    just read on another site were they are startin to find the ash in the gills of the fish that they are netting around the area.

19. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    They are finding ash in thier gills and stomachs. Some catfish had a ball as big as a golf ball in its stomach. The environmentalist are screaming we are going to have a massive fish die off. When there is a natural mud slide do fish not have mud in thier stomachs and gills. I am waiting on some smart people to say it is going to kill off the fish. This is a real local desaster. It has our river damed and folks on the river i am afraid will be in trouble if we have the normal spring floods. The lake is above summer pool now due to holding it back because of the spill. There is little room to hold back a spring flood.

20. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    never fished there hope to this spring have a buddy that lives near there he comes down here for a couple of weeks every year to hunt and asked me to come go fishing with him this spring also welcome to the boc you can learn alot here:wink: