Watts bar help?

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by FAT_CAT, Mar 16, 2006.

1. FAT_CAT

FAT_CAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    O.k. guys, been to Watts Bar a few times...slim results. I know some of you have fished there before, so how about a few helpful hints eh? For instance, do I fish the Tennessee river side of the dam, or the Watts Bar lake side? I saw a couple thousand shad swimming the rock ledges near the lock...would throwing a cast net to catch them do me any good bait wise? Blue gill, livers, cutbait or shad??? So many questions, so many fish, so little time....any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    Are you fishing from a boat or on the bank? If your on the bank I would try below the dam first if it's allowed. The striper bite will getting started real soon and the cats are not usually far behind. I would use cut skipjack if they are there or maybe live shad, you could catch a striper or a catfish.

3. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    im not from your area, if there are that many shad, id say shad would be a good bait to use. where i fish there are also thousands of shad so thats what i use. have good results.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Shad works real well below or above the dam.

5. FAT_CAT

FAT_CAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    We went back to the dam today/tonight. Heavy ripple and a stiff breeze. Tried out the new cast net and got about 3 dozen crappie shad. Other than that, caught about a half a dozen skip's on a small spin jig and used them for cutbait but nothing. Talked to a few locals and in a few weeks the spot next to the lock should really come alive. My dad, being the nut that he is, ran a hook to a 1.5lb skipjack and threw him on the bottom ( I think he was getting bored and wanted to see his pole bend a little bit). We stayed out as long as we could, but we weren't prepared for the coldfront. When the water temps. start to rise, I plan on spending some quality time near the lock, I don't have a boat and I enjoying watching those skips jump 3 feet out of the water while trying to land them on an ultralite. Has anyone fished in this spot before? It's on the river side right in the corner, opposite of where they run the generators.

Danny

6. FAT_CAT

FAT_CAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    drc3...I noticed that you're in Cleveland. A guy told me to head towards your way to a Parksville Lake? If you have any info. I would appreciate it. I like fishing rivers, but I love fishing lakes. He was bragging on some decent channels he caught last summer. Thanks in advanced.

Danny

7. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    Fatcat, Parksville lake isn't that great for catfishing or much of anything else, IMO. It's basically a deep, clear, mountain lake. I think it has a good population of trout and sunfish. Stick to fishing the river/ behind the dam, sooner or later it'll payoff.

8. FAT_CAT

FAT_CAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I figured, but thanks for the clarification. Any other decent lakes around this area? Maybe something with campsites and decent fish? I'd like to take my family out, but I don't think my fiancee would be too excited about climbing down those rocks near the dam and them having to make yourself a chair out of the boulders. Thanks

9. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    FATCAT, I don't really know of any other lakes around us. The TN river is all you need, there are many camping areas on the Chick and WattsBar, privately run and state parks. The best bank spot I could give you would be Blyth-ferry at the hwy 60 bridge going to Dayton. There's no campground, just the boat ramp. You can see it as your crossing the bridge, you should notice that it is very close to the main channel and deeper water. I would think that would be the key for bank fishing, getting your bait in deeper water and off those shallow flats. I know people that catch lots of 7-10lbers there from the bank, just gotta be in the right place at the right time.

10. FAT_CAT

FAT_CAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Alright, so I kept up going to Watts Bar on the TN River, and it finally paid off. We only landed 3 fish but we had bites throughout the night(awesome to see those fish take line), they were blues, and they were big (atleast to me they were, to y'all they were probably babies). Anyway, I've never caught anything with this much mass, and I'm just trying to not think of what a beautiful pic I would have had if the hook didn't fall out of the biggest fish right at the bank:crying: . He was about twice the size of the 2 that I got pics of...I will post them as soon as I learn how. Is it normal for blues to start stripping line right after the bait hits the bottom???

11. FAT_CAT

FAT_CAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Here they are, caught on cut skipjack...biggest one not pictured, he was caught on a skipjack head and then came unhooked before I could figure out how to lift him up the rocks:sad: ...

Attached Files:

12. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    Good looking fish FAT CAT. Did you get those below the dam? I'm gonna fish up there wednesday, hoping to get some big stripers. Did you see any shad near the lock?

13. FAT_CAT

FAT_CAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks drc3. So far, every time we've been under the lock we've seen shad and skipjack very plentiful. The smaller hybrids have been caught almost non-stop so I'm sure the bigger fish are around there. I actually got out to the main channel, moved down about 300 yards from where I was not getting anything after a tip from a guy who was there. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the area, but I was sitting right under the DANGEROUS WATERS sign if that means anything to ya. They must have been holding to that rock pile point, I'll be back as soon as I get some more time.

14. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    I always fish the river side, not got to fish the lake side yet. We usually hit the river in a 24ft Carolina Skiff, run right up to the side of the dam, or we did before all the off limits crap and such and i havent been by the dam in a few years but when i did we'd go anchor right against the dam, throw out either in the boils or into the grooves in the dam were there is the fencing at the very bottom and we use to get 50+ fish from 3 people about about 5-6 hours all the time, usually more. always used cutbait except it seems around jan-march, flatheads where in force right by the dam and we'd use whole shad. rigs usually where at least a 50lb main line, with 16oz bank sinker and 6/0 circle hooks. but we also right now do great drifting, if you know where some good spots are using a similar setup with lighter sinker.

15. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    FAT_CAT ... get you some of these for landing those big fish. They're great and cabelas has them on sale right now! If link doesn't work, got to www.cabelas.com and search for "Grab & Weigh Fishing Scale" in the "Grippers" category.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166&id=0025064016914a&navCount=1&podId=0025064&parentId=cat90003&navAction=push&catalogCode=6IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat90003&hasJS=true

16. cottonmouth

cottonmouth New Member

State:
    southeast tn
    hey now ,don't be knocking parksville dam. Now for all you monster cat guys it aint nothing ' but for the fun of catching you can have a ball. you have to wait untill they turn the water off and walk up in the water and throw back up in the dam 'but you can wear them out , BUT BE CAREFULL BECAUSE THEY DO NOT GIVE ANY WARNINGS BEFORE THEY TURN THE WATER BACK ON !!! Only take what you can carry and be ready to move out fast or travel down river!!!