Watts Bar dam, dam, dam

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by EricM, Aug 20, 2008.

1. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Harrison TN
    Name:
    Eric Maurer
    I took my newly (if temporarily) repaired boat up to Watts Bar dam on the Tennessee river and tied to the dam wall for some cattin'. The water was running pretty hard and I was using 6 oz of weight and still couldn't keep the bait in place, but was hitting some 8 to 12 lb blues. I was having to haul them a long way in heavy current, so I decided to move over a couple of discharge bays. And the saga begins.

So there I was..........

In the process of moving, I managed to get into the really heavy discharge boils and spun the wheel very hard and tore up the steering again (duct tape must have failed). Uh-oh! Double uh-oh!!! Now I'm helpless and moving toward the dam wall at a frightening clip, and I'm sure most of the water on the floor was mine! I sounded the collision alarm and braced for impact. I kind of suspected that this was gonna leave a mark. Yep, I was right. I managed to kiss (kiss, hell - a kiss like that would have broken teeth) a corner of one of the generator holes with the left rear corner of the boat, tore bumper rail and screws out, busted out a chunk of fiberglass well above the waterline, and likely cracked half-a-dozen vertebrae. I began to suspect that this was probably not going to be one of my better days. I then started wondering if my super-duper inflatible vest would deploy and support my overweight butt. I just KNEW I should have called Jenny Craig when I saw that commercial!

Of course, the motor quit when I had slammed it into reverse, so I was spinning in tight little circles and still smacking the wall. Luckily, the trolling motor protected the boat on one of the hits by absorbing the impact and busting off that useless tightening knob. Somewhere along about then my constipation problem was resolved so I at least had one fewer thing to worry about.

I finally got the motor started and made the whitewater trip over the biggest of the boils sideways. I was just a mite concerned looking up at the standing wave, but thought hell, just imagine what I would have had to pay for this ride at Disney World!

The rest of the trip was kind of boring.........

And my doctor wants me to take a stress test?????????????

FOR SALE: 1984 Stratos, somewhat busted left rear, tightening handle missing on trolling motor, pee on floor, rather poor steering abilities, multiple recent battle scars, sinks occasionally, multiple life vests included (suggest wearing them all), plenty of duct tape and bubble gum included (most of it pre-applied)...........

Boat name: LUCKY

2. phlatheadphatty

phlatheadphatty New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Makes me appreciate bieng bank bound !

3. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Remember the Captain always goes down with the ship. Man that sounds like a really bad day. I hate running up by the dams in heavy current. You never know whats going to happen .

4. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Harrison TN
    Name:
    Eric Maurer
    Wanted: backseater for fishing adventures. Must have own tools. 3-5 years experience with bondo and duct tape a must. Will require master bailing certificate or pass a proficiency test. Ability to swim a plus.
    Call 1-800-OhPoopNotAgain :crazy:

5. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Good gravy man, you should write a book, I know I would buy it.LOL That was one scary ride Eric for sure but you sure know how to tell a story. You have had more adventure in your life than three people should.LOL By the way how many fish did you catch? :big_smile_2:

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is a crazy story that I pray I never have to live thru!! Thank God you got out of that mess

7. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    :crazy: Holy cow Eric! :crazy: That is a crazy tale! I'm glad you didn't get injured or worse! That had to be scary! :wink:

8. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    thats was one wild day of fishing great story glad your ok

9. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Glad you are OK buddy. I gotta say one thing, you are surely dedicated to that boat.:crazy:

10. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I sometimes think about getting me another boat. But you just eased my concerns on that matter. I think I'll stick to the bank and my folding chair. I still have way too many accidents just fishing from the bank. I haven't fished from a boat in over 20years. I had way to many "Adventures" from the boat!!:big_smile:

11. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Eric, Sounded like one heck of a ride brother. Glad your ok, underware is cheap could have been alot worse. Next time instead of trying to save a little money, go ahead and put a couple extra wraps of duct tape on the steering :smile2: Really though I'm glad you are ok, dams are a dangerous place and things can go wrong fast.

12. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Well, being as your chair about killed you the other night that might be a good idea John :smile2: