Watts Bar area

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by Tellico00, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Tellico00

Tellico00 New Member

State:
    Collierville, T
    My son in law wants to try fishing below the Watts Bar dam on Lake Chickamauga during the Thanksgiving Holiday. Do we have any members that know the area that could suggest an area that we should try? How about skip jacks, gills or shad, can they be caught this time of the year or should we bring our bait? Also any suggestions as to a boat launch or marina that you would recommend?

Thank you in advance

Mike

2. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    There are two good ramps to use , one above the dam and one right below it both on the lock side (can't remember the hwy #). I"m not sure if your just looking to catch fish or your just gonna be cattin, but the big cats and the striped bass are being caught in the tailraces right now. You can probably catch some bait there but I would take some along just to be safe. If you don't like fishing at the dam there are some good spots a few miles down river. Look for rock points with eddy areas behind them, I know there are at least three of them that I have caught good fish from.
    If your looking for something even farther down river then here is a spot I found out about a while back but have'nt tried it. At mile marker 516 you'll see a series of submerged wingdams that I hear are great for BIG cats.

3. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
  4. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Daniel,
    That link doesn't work. Got another?

5. Tellico00

Tellico00 New Member

State:
    Collierville, T
    Thank you for the suggestions Daniel!

I plan to try some or all of your suggestions this weekend

Hope to see you on the water with a tight line

Mike

6. Tellico00

Tellico00 New Member

State:
    Collierville, T
  7. Tellico00

Tellico00 New Member

State:
    Collierville, T
    The following URL is the US Army Corps Engineers map for the Tennessee river system from below the Kentucky Dam though to Pool Melton Hill Lake. You can print out a copy of the map.

http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/opn/TNRiver/

Mike

8. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    You can enlarge the map by pointing the cursor in the bottom right hand corner of the map. Did you see the wingdams I'm talking about?

9. Tellico00

Tellico00 New Member

State:
    Collierville, T
    Yes thank you Daniel I finally *fat fingered* it so the map will enlarge. <grin>

The wing dams are there as you say, makes one wonder why? It doesn't appear there is any industry south of the wing dams, perhaps erosion control?

I think I am going to try the area south of the Dam either tomorrow or Saturday and I appreciate your suggestions. If you have time come on down that way we have someone to take the picture of the huge fish that will be caught :grin-big:

Mike

10. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    Wish I could go fishing but have a wedding to attend instead. Hope you guys catch a monster this weekend, hopefully the wind won't be as bad as it has been this week, good luck.