Watkins Landing

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Dallison, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    This is a boat landing on the James in Powahtan County. Is there any area for bank fishing? It seems from going to the various landings there are places to fish around them. I was just looking for some feedback. I'm giving the Wilcox Wharf a break for now, and Osbourn boat landing is a Jet Ski nightmare. My next place to look is the Chickahominy wildlife management area. Most of my research is done on the virginia game website. The information seems kinda generic so any info would help. I'm just kinda in a rut going to the same old places.

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Very nice boat ramp for launching two boats at a time. They have a big parking lot. It is a ramp where you are supposed to leave at dark. During the warm months, everybody and his brother is there enjoying the water. The bank is high and no real good spots for fishing unless the river is low. I have caught some flatheads, channels, brim, and bass,(yuk) there but from my boat further upstream. I used to have two smaller boats that I could get over a rock ledge upstream from the ramp a 1/3 of a mile or so. The whole stretch of the river from the Prison to Watkins is a great place to fish in the spring and fall.

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Seen some people bank fishing across from Presquille Isle, as you're heading downriver and make the right turn towards Hopewell/City Point, it would be on your right bank. Before you get to the pumphouse there. It's close to a deep hole and seems like it would be a good spot for transient blues.

4. wadeq

wadeq New Member

State:
    virginia
    White Banks park in Colonial Heights off on Conduit Rd is a real good spot for just about all species of fish. I put my boat in there about 2 to 3 times a week and catch 40 +lbs Blues on many occaisions. We went last night (bass fishing) and caught 11 nice large mouths not far from the ramp, but when I want to go catfishing, I still put in there and only go about 1/2 mile to a nice hole that I have landed several blues over 30 lbs. It's tidel water and it dumps into the Appomatox which dumps into the James. I've also caugh nice blues right there at the boat ramp. 2 nice piers there and my biggest channel cat came from those piers. There are bathrooms near by and pavillions, also a playground for kids if your youngun's need something to do. Give me a shout if you want to try that spot and I will take you out on my boat to try and get some BIG Blues.

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Wade, great info. Thank You. What is the boat/ramp traffic like there? I've never ventured very far into the Appomattox, but it's a trip I need to do sometime.

6. Halifax

Halifax New Member

State:
    Chester ,Va
    Wade have you caught any flatheads in that area? Was thinking about trying that stretch for them.

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Good luck finding a new fishing hole. I know your frustration. Good luck in the future

8. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks I'm going to look that up. I don't think its a huge drive from Richmond.

9. wadeq

wadeq New Member

State:
    virginia
    Hey jpritch, The boat traffic isn't bad at all since when it's low tide, the water is very shallow for over a 1/4 mile near the docks. The water is about 10 -12 ft at the ramp but get very shallow (less than a foot at extream low tide) in both directions. Only fishermen use this ramp due to that fact, pleasure boats don't come up much but you have to be careful putting your boat in there, you need to know where the channel is.

Hey Halifax, I've caught 1 flathead in the appomatox not far from that boat ramp striper fishing with a 4 -6 inch gizzard shad live on a fish finder rig and it was around 30 lbs I'ld say. I don't know the best method for fishing for flatties but would love to learn.

Hey Dallison, it's a nice place to fish from the pier if you don't have a boat. The water at the ramp is the deepest water around for a good distance. Since very few pleasure boaters use this ramp because of low water at low tide, you can enjoy not much in boat traffic. However, alot of bass fisherman use it, but they put their boats in and run downstream. If you have a canoe or jon boat (what I fish from) it's some of the best fishing around. The shad run through there during the spring, stripers come through and always largemouth bass, blue cats and channel cats.

Any of you that would like to go sometime, just give me shout and we can hook up and go. I fish by myself a bunch and don't mind company. I live in Colonial Heights and the ramp is about 6 minutes from my house. I have been fishing this area for 11 yrs and know it pretty good. I like to go in the afternoons after work during the week, so not much traffic. I'm glad that ya'll find this helpful, I have my trolling motor charging now and will be going this afternoon. thanks and tight lines to ya!

10. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for turning me on to White bank park...I had fun actually caught 2 fish. Here is a pic of my largest to date, my largest Channel...I think its a channel... O well. I shall return. Caught this with my catfish uglystick, abu pro rocket, #2 gamatsu circle. I had to hustle to get it in a boat was heading toward the ramp. ....sad to say I don't trust a levelwind seemed like it was going to jam. I can reel in a CT(non levelwind) better.

Attached Files: