Waterpump Repair?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by miichael, Sep 6, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ok guys I got my new water pump it was the "new version" so i couldnt use all the parts without the new housing. I replaced the plates, impeller, key, and gaskets. When i dropped my lower unit a round o-ring fell to the ground. I think the o ring fits on the drive shaft but im not for sure. It was broken but it looks like it would fit on the drive shaft and there isnt any kind of o-ring on the shaft. Do you think that is where it came from?

Also after i bolted the housing down on waterpump in my repair kit it came with the grommet and another big rubber piece that fits snug on drive shaft and is about 1/2" long. Do i put the grommet over the drive shaft and put it on the water pump housing then push the rubber piece inside the grommet or what? When i took it off there was only the grommet and no rubber piece.

Or does that rubber piece suppse to go in the water tube?

2. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina

3. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Not sure if i was suppose to i used both those gaskets put one under the plate and put one on top of the plate when i bolted the housing down? my first time could use some info. I have a repair manual with exploded views of it but i dont see one that looks exactly like mine.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Now you know why I prefer to use the Mfg's products rather than after market.

You got a digital camera? It would sure make life easy.

5. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yes i have a digital cam. What you want me to take pics of?

6. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ok here is the rubber O Ring that fell off and the 2nd pic is where i think it goes on the end of the drive shaft.

7. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ok heres the 2 grommets that covers the waterpump housing on the drive shaft. Left is new one and right is old one. The Old old didnt have that rubber piece im questioning about but the old one didnt even have a gasket on the impeller housing either? So im thinking someone didnt do it right before. heres all the pics

8. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    more pics of the grommet and rubber piece.

9. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Did i install it right by putting gasket under the plate and then other gasket between plate and housing or do i need to take the gasket under the plate off?

10. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    This is all i took off my waterpump when i took it off. There was no gaskets or anything other than the rubber grommet. Shouldnt it have had a gasket? Thinking someone just did it half way before.

11. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    The tall plastic tube you took off the pump housing has a rubber grommet under it. Replace it with the new one. it seals the water pick up copper tube.

The big rubber grommet that goes on the shaft and sets down tight to the pump with the smaller end up.

It looks right with the gaskets above and below the plate.

Part placements are modified from year to year. Adding some and modifying others.

The base plate should've had a gasket under it when you took it off

12. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    So the water pump tube that hooks on to the copper pipe should have the rubber round gasket under it? or should it be above it. like rubber sealing tube to housing or rubber sealing tube to copper tube?

13. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Under inside the water pump housing. The plastic tube is just a guide for the copper tube.

14. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You did right by putting a gasket above and below the base plate. In the later model pumps, there's a seal called a spagetti gasket that we bond into a grove in the housing, it replaced the top gasket that yours has.

The water tube seal hasn't changed, it does go under the plastic tube.

15. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ok i got it all back together and everything works great. It pumps water out of the tell tale hard but i also got a leak around the housing where the tell tale is. When its running water is shooting out both tell tails and its also running out of the housing up there at the tell tail. Is this normal? Ran 6 gallons of gas through it today and it did fine. It nots leaking where the lower unit fits on its up at the top where the tell tale is. is this normal?

16. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Here is a pic of where the water is coming out. just not sure if its normal. I drew arrows pointing where water is coming out.

17. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Michael pull that cowleing off while you are running it and see if that tell tell hose has a hole in it. Its not common for water to come out there unless the water is comming from under the cowling where the motor sits in the pan. It ain't going to do any damage to anything if its the hose except maybe wet the plugs or wireing.

18. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Like Bubba says, take a look. That ain't supposed to be there.

19. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You mean take the top off the engine and look down from the top? If it does have a hole how will i get down there to fix it? I ran the motor for about 10 minutes on muffs and did a decarb on the engine and i didn't notice any water wetting anything under the hood but i also didn't notice it leaking from that spot until i have it on the lake. Ill hook it back up to the muffs and crank it up surely if its got a leak in the hose i will be able to see it with just the muffs.

20. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The cowleing is the hood,bonnett or top the unlatches from the pan and exposes the motor. Follow the black rubber hose from where the pee stream exits it back to where it is comming from on the engine. It fastens into the engine water jacket some where most times it is before the t-stats but on your motor I would have to see it to know exactly where. If you are seeing this while the muffs are on disregard the post and set it in the water some where and run like you were working it and see if it is doing the same thing.