waterpump output

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by wvcatfishhunter, May 22, 2008.

1. wvcatfishhunter

wvcatfishhunter New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    rebuilt the water pump on my 50 hp merc.. I get no water coming out of the jet on the side of the engine on the top. it comes out fine at the bottom where it should. Any idea what could be my problem?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you are refering to the tell tell hose at the top it is most likely stopped up with mud from little critters that like to build mud huts in those things. Take some air or a fine piece of wire and run through it.

3. wvcatfishhunter

wvcatfishhunter New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    how do I run through it? I've got it all back together. and yes it looks like someone peeing. I agree it must be stopped up cause it drips. could i take a can of compressed air and shoot it through the opening on the motor where the water comes out?

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yep take a little air and blow it back up through the little hose and see if that unstops it. If you will remove the cowling you can see where the hose hooks up to the motor and you can flush it that way also.

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I kept a piece of heavy weed eater or mono line for this attached to my transom of my boat or attached to the motor as I ran in a lot of trashy water.I also had the insects!

If it is a regular thing with insects,clamp a "wire to round screw connector" on to a weed eater or heavy mono line size that fills the hole when running in it and attach a cord to it.Run the cord in the hole and tie it to the motor or boat.Leave the weed eater cord in the orifice when you are not using the motor.These insects can plug one in hours in South Georgia.This shuts them out.With a short cord,it can dangle for years and not hurt a thing while you are running and you always have it.If you forget it and leave it in,I have never heard of it hurting the motor as it is a visual indicator.It worked for me ever since the early 60's.We used the very heavy mono fishing and leader line found in saltwater tackle shops back then.
    I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee