Waterproof Camera

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by schoonie, Apr 29, 2009.

1. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ok fellow yakkers, what camera do you use, and why? Do you have a mount? Is it waterproof?

2. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    I use a Pentax Optio W60 because it's waterproof, dustproof, shockproof, and actually has some optical zoom unlike most inexpensive waterproof cameras. It takes great pictures with 10megapixels and has a mode for any situation you may be taking pictures in.

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I simply keep my camera in a small pelican case.

4. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    you mite also take a look at the Olympus Stylus Tough 8000 http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1448&fl=4 , It may be a little more durable then the Pentax http://www.pentaximaging.com/digital-camera/Optio_W60_-_Ocean_Blue/ and will take a lot deeper water has a slightly bigger viewing screen, the Pentax has a strong zoom and 10 Megapixels but the Olympus is a 12 Megapixels cam which will make up for most of that when you enlarge/crop, the one thing the Pentax has which I like better is it has the SD removable media card a more standard and less costly then the xD-Picture Card but you only need one:wink:

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Same one I have although mine is 6 MP. Works great and has been tested in all conditions.

6. pebblepoint

pebblepoint New Member

State:
    Marion
    Fuji makes one that reads well, but a friend who has it isn't thrilled with the pics.

Several of us have had the Olympus. Salt water will kill it for some reason. About half have had reliability problems. One guy just bought a new one and says it's too complicated.

I've always checked Amazon's feedbacks and then bought from them. Far cheaper than best buy. Also, be sure to buy the SquareTrade warantee with Accident Protection. Very cheap and they stand behind the warantee. Most others do what they can to get out of paying. And if you use Best Buy's warantee one time, it is void for any future repairs.
    Personally, I've always preferred Canon cameras.
    don
    illinois

7. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I just use the family camera and keep it in my dry hatch behind the seat, only pulling it out for a quick shot and then putting it back. If I ever drop it in the water my wife will kill me!

8. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I worked there for years and this was not the case, I actually just called a friend who is a Gen. Manager for Best Buy and she stated this is untrue. The product protection plan is good for the life if the plan you purchased.

9. trollrap

trollrap New Member

State:
    northern illino
    Hi DEF video, very good quality. 5 MP stills, good res. Easy to use software. $120 easy to afford. I like this camera so far. Oh yeah... waterproof to 10', a very necessary feature for me. Tired of worrying about rain on my cam. Check it out. Bill

10. Angling Andrew

Angling Andrew New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    I've got a Vivitar, haven't gotten a chance to use it just got it for Christmas, but man it looks nice, especially fr $80. It's all metal and all waterproof.

11. Bruiser

Bruiser New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I went with the Go Pro Hero for my kayak experience and I love it. Waterproof, high definition, I can take stills out of any video footage, and it's virtually indestructable with the outside casing. It floats in water also, so if you drop it in the lake, Whew, no worries. Has 5 different view settings, so it's not always on fish eye view. That is only one of the views you can use.