WaterOne dam at I-435

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by 320hotrod, May 30, 2009.

1. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    I was looking to see if anybody has any experience or stories about fishing the WaterOne flow-over dam at the 435 bridge. I see it all the time driving, and see a few boats now and again, but have never made the 15 mile trip up to check it out. Any info? It seems to me about half the tourney guys head that way, I assume that's where they're heading to start. Thanks!

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    It's generally a good area to fish, but beware of underwater hazards on the way up. Be especially careful around bridges and anywhere a creek flows in, but in general be careful everywhere until you have made the trip a few times and have found a path. There are things that jump up out of nowhere that could do serious damage to your outboard. Currently the water has dropped to a level where the hazards have multiplied.

3. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Thanks Gary. What can I expect to find up there as far as depths and structure? Is there just a scour hole on the south side or is it a riffle all the way across? I plan on scanning it pretty good with my side imaging and can send you some images if you like. Thanks again.

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Once you get past the old blown out bridge pier, you will be about a half mile below the weir. It's pretty shallow all the way across... currently there are places where you will be doing well to find 4 feet of water. Up by the weir there is the old scour hole on the south that is pretty deep, and a newer one forming near the north bank from the water redirection through the middle of the dam. You will have to run plenty of shallow water to reach either one, though.

Structure... the trees will be mostly visible now, beware of occasional boulders and rock piles. I've got a Humminbird 797, but the shallow water defeats a lot of it's usefulness up there and it can be hard to run straight lines because of current and obstacles.

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    PS - Signing off now to go fishing :006: Will check back tomorrow.

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Good luck Gary.:cool2:
    Welcome to the BoC Brian.

7. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Gonna take me over an hour to get up there without the obstacles with my tiny 50 horse already. Sure hope it's worht the effort. I'm hoping this front coming in is gonna stir'em up a bit. I'm taking my bad luck charm (father) with me, so the cards are already stacked against me!

8. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Stay to the left side around 635 bridge it is extremely shallow there.Stay to the left hand side {south side} around both islands. Be careful around the bridges there's a lot of crap around them{trees,rebarboulders etc.} You don't have to run all the way up there {it's 19 miles}There ar other places to fish closer to the ramp.Last tournament we didn't catch anything up there by the weir dam but we caught 2 blues 94 lbs within 2 miles of the boat ramp. Be careful of the underwater cable around the sand dredge about a mile downstream of the weir. You need to slow down in a couple places and trim your motor almost out of the water. I would almost wait till the water is up to run all the way up there.Or go with somebody that knows the path up there first.It's not like a lake if you hit something and or break down there ain't nobody around to tow you back to the ramp.You can drift back to Kaw Point might take a long time... it helps if you have a trolling motor to steer.I went up there for the first time by myself in my bass boat about a month ago....the water stage was 21 feet then. We made it in 21 minutes averageing about 60 MPH and I never backed off the throttle. I wouldn't dream of trying that now.Good luck and be careful.

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS

That shallow spot in the middle was sticking about a foot out of the water as of Friday. :wink:

10. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Thanks for all the info guys. I drove over the 69 bridge on the way home from work last night to check it out, and prob will stay lower today based on all you's information. I didn't realize it was so shallow up thataway! Plenty of other water to fish without all the headaches. Thanks again!