Watermelons

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Bill in SC, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Just checkin' to see what your favorite watermelons are to grow. I prefer 'Jubilee', but grow others as well. I also grow a VERY OLD timey watermelon. The seeds from this melon have been handed down through several generations. It is solid pale green, with an orangish yellow flesh. Very sweet. It is oblong and gets quite large, nearly as large as 'Jubilee'. I will get some pics up later. If anyone here knows it's name, I'd appreciate it. I was browsing the web, and see that there are numerous odd cultivars out there. Next year, I hope to try one called 'Ice', that has a WHITE flesh, supposedly very sweet. Also, many of you may have seen the SQUARE watermelons. In Japan, they grow some of their melons in square plexi glass boxes. While on the vine, they place a tiny melon in the "box", as it grows larger, it takes the shape of the "box" it is grown in. They grow them like that to utilize their space better in the fridge. I might try that and see what happens! BTW: I'll be happy to share some seeds from my very old strain of yellow fleshed melon. I'll be happy to trade for unusual cultivars, or will send a dozen or two for postage. These old timey melons are prolific, and produce like crazy. Odd thing about their seeds is that they are WHITE.
    Here is a link to some rare watermelon seeds.
    http://www.vegetableseed.net/heirloom-vegetable-seeds/melon-seeds/watermelon-seeds/rare.html
    Bill in SC

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Bill for a very informative post and for the web site. I had never heard of a square mellon. Enjoyed.

3. tyrupp

tyrupp New Member

State:
    Ellis,Kans
    I been growing chelsea watermelon this year.They have growing these up in Iowa since the early 1900s they weigh in at about 20 to 30 lb ,in my opinion its as sweet as any hybrid and more productive.If you or any others would like some seed pm me.I sure would like to try out the melon you are growing. Good luck and happy growing

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I watched a show once that Disney had cukes in a mickey mouse mold. They grew everything in hydroponics. This garden supplied there restaurant year round.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The crimson red cannonball watermellons.

6. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    Being a Carolina Boy myself, I dont think it really matters. As long as I have a watermelon and a shalt shaker.