Watermellon, Wax beans & corn

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Scott Daw, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Im in PA and I'm going to try to grow my own burpee bush sugar baby watermelon, sweet corn & wax beans this year. Does any one have any tips? feeding or avoiding pests like cut worms & such. I live in zone 6 if that helps.

2. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    I'm in South Texas and our climates are severly different, but maybe what works down here will, work for you up there. I'm not familiar with the variety of watermelon that your wanting to grow. But when I used to plant watermelons I'd make a 6' round sandy lome hill approx 12" high. I'd plant 5-6 seeds in each mound and then reduce to 3 plants if they all came up. I MG (miracle grow) everything and do really well with my gardening. When the plants are young I mix my MG in a 2 gallon watering can and double the amount. Instead of 1 or 2 scoups per gallon, double it. Do this once a week until the plants get big enough to MG with the garden hose sprayer.

Corn is fairly easy to grow down here, the key with sweet corn is fertilizer and water, water, water. All my garden is raised bed and I flood it weekly. Up there you may not need it that often. Plant the seeds 1" below the soil and tamp the dirt down on top afterwards to get good germination. Thin seeds after they sprout to 1 plant every 6-8". MG once a week (double Strength) until the plants are 10" tall. At this point you want to pull dirt up on the plants approx. 3-4" higher on the stalks than it was. I hand release 15-15-15 fertalizer down the rows approx 6-8" away from the stalk. cover lightly with dirt and water in. Full sunlight is best and plenty of water.

Hope this helps. PM me if you have any other questions.
    Shelby

3. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Plant the mellons indoors now, use 2 inch square planting pots. Mellons are tender, you will have to harden them off , then transplant them mid may. You may also plant the seed directly in the ground 2 weeks before the last frost date. Corn, beans may be sown at the same time.