Waterfowl Youth day at lake reidsville

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by ncfowler, Feb 2, 2009.

1. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    Last saturday was waterfowl youth day here in North Carolina, for the last nine or so years i have held a youth day hunt at lake reidsville, the city offer up all the blinds for this event and lets use a shelter to have a hot dog lunch. Over the last few years i was able to get sponcer form a large chain sporting goods store which they gave some nice gifts away to the kids. This year they said there were on board and had some stuff to give away, Also over the years my wife and daughter did the hotdog lunch, last year a cristain huntting org, got on board as they did this year. Saturday all the blinds were filled up with kids and the kids got to shoot at ducks. when lunch time rolled around we joined up at one of the shelters just to find out that our sponcer failed to donate gifts, and the hot dog lunch was out of food before any one got off the lake. many of the kids were disapointed to say the least, On the up side DU did send some stuff in and we were able to give gifts to almost every kid something, i donated several guided trips and Paint Ball Centeral donated some passes for the field. In the after noon hunt the cristain Hunters had the lake to them self. Next year the youth day will be under the lake Reidsville waterfowl hunters Acc. I am a active member of the lake's waterfowl program and will be taking up where i left off and this years waterfowl youth day will not be dependent on one or two groups but will have a large base to draw from. Just a note, I am a little upset with my sponcer, if they were having problems with donations they should have let me know so i could have pulled from my data base of sponcers who wanted to donate, the sponcer i had would not allow me to pull from compeating sporting goods. This will change this year, and the hot dog lunch will be put back into my wife and daughter hands, in the past we never ran out of food for the kids, Running out of food was poor planing on there part we had over 150 kids and with adults, as we did last year. Am i pved? yes I work all year pulling this together, when sponcers say there in i am looking for them to hold to there word, I do this for the kids and it tears me up to see a kid who is disapointed.

2. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    NCFowler,
    I am sorry to hear of the trouble you had with the sponsor you had counted on for the youth day hunt.I know those kids look forward to things like that.I hate to see them dissapointed :sad2:.And it is good to see people such as yourself and your family getting the kids involved with the great sport of hunting.look,since you look for donations for events like this for the kids let me know next year and I would love to donate a call or two for them ok.See,I have been a custom duck and goose call maker for 9 years now :wink:.And I always like helpin the kids.If you would like you can look at some of my work at
    www.creeksidecustomcalls.com . Hope next year turns out better for you guys.Please keep up the great work :smile2:.

Take care and God bless

Timber

3. todobiennc

todobiennc New Member

State:
    nc
  4. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    over all the kids had a good day on the lake, the day was not the best for ducks in my book clear with blue skies. the birds were not flying as i would hope only seen a few flocks and several pairs and singles. the young man that i took out for the first time duck hunting got a bluebill. my son and his friend fell asleep in the blind and were not able to get a shot off.