Waterfowl Recipes

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by N2Ducks, Feb 9, 2006.

1. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas
    Does anyone know of some good duck gumbo or other waterfowl recipes?

2. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    N2ducks, might wanna check sites like DU, Delta Waterfowl I was looking for the same thing a while back and they had some.

3. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    This is an awesome one. Take your duck breasts and butterfly them down the middle, but go ahead and cut them in two pieces. Marinade them for 24-48 hours in Midwestern Marinade(or your favorite). Then all you do is smoke them until they are medium rare. You talk about absolutely delicious!!!!!!!!!!! Goose is just as good that way, too. As for Gumbo, Phil Robertson has that one mastered!!!!!!!!!! I ate good all duck season down there. LOL!!!!!!! I believe some of his gumbo recipes are on one of his videos. For the very best duck recipe book EVER, look at Buck Gardner's I can't believe it's duck. Vicki Patterson did the recipes for it, and she cooks duck better than anyone I've ever seen!!!!!!!!!! She has 50 recipes that are TOP NOTCH!!!!!!!!!! Hope this gives you some world class recipes that you can enjoy, 'cause Lord knows that trying to cook them on your own can ruin your taste buds!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God bless.

4. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas
    You got that right. I don't know if I can ever look at a duck the same ever again. LOL. Thanks for the tips I'll check out Phil movie but if I can't get it do you think you could get it for me?

5. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    When I was growing up, every year, my buddies and I would get togather on New Years and make this huge pot of wild game gumbo! What we had in it depended on what was in our freezers. Mostly duck, pheasant, quail, rabbit, and sometimes venison as well as crab and oysters! At, one time or another, it all ended up in the gumbo! This is the basic recipie with duck!

INGREDIENTS:

2 wild ducks, smoked and cut into serving pieces
    1 pint oysters
    1 pound andouille, sliced
    1 cup vegetable oil
    1 1/4 cups flour
    2 cups onions, chopped
    2 cups celery, chopped
    1 cup bell pepper, chopped
    1/4 cup garlic, diced
    1 pint oyster liquor
    3 quarts chicken stock
    2 cups green onions, sliced
    1 cup parsley, chopped
    salt to taste
    cracked pepper to taste
    Louisiana Gold Pepper Sauce to taste
    METHOD:
    In a 2-gallon stock pot, heat oil over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, add flour and, using a wire whisk, stir constantly until roux is golden brown. Do not scorch. Should black specks appear, discard and begin again. Add onions, celery, bell pepper and garlic. Sauté 3 - 5 minutes, or until vegetables are wilted. Add duck and andouille, blending into vegetable mixture. Add oyster liquor and chicken stock, one ladle at a time. Bring to a rolling boil, reduce to simmer and cook approximately 2 hours. When duck is tender, add oysters and cook an additional 10 minutes. Add green onions and parsley. Season to taste using salt, pepper and Louisiana Gold. Serve over steamed white rice.
    Did ya et yet?

6. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    Boy that one sounds good right there!!!!!!!!!!! I'm fixing to boil up 15 count shrimp from Mexico and red taters and corn on the cob tonight for dinner, along with some snow crab!!!!!!!!!!! Getting hungry thinking about it. LOL!!!!!!!! As for Phil's movie, contact them and someone will surely remember the video it's on. I know the duck whackin' is top notch as well!!!!!!!!! I think it's Duckmen 7 if I'm not mistaken, but I'd double check on that. God bless.

7. DuckHunterChuck

DuckHunterChuck New Member

State:
    Kansas
    the best duck that i ever had goes as follows:

take as many duck breasts as you are hungry for. give them hell with a meat tenderizer. now, take them and place them on a saucer, covered, in the fridge, with seasoned salt, italian dressing, and garlic on them. let them marinade for about 4 hours. ok, now you get out your favorite skillet and put some oil and garlic on there. let that sautee for about a minute. just until it starts to sizzle. next take the duck and drop it in the pan. dont overcook it!! it will taste awful. go about medium rare. cut in to the middle as necessary. serve with french bread, baked potatoe, and some good ol corn. NOTE * cook on medium the whole time * enjoy. i will vouge for this one. it is amazing!!! and, i will take credit for this one, on account a i made it up. please try it and send me a pm and tell me what you think. enjoy boys!

8. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas
    I herd a guy that told me the best way to cook divers.

1 2X4
    1 Duck Breast

Grill the duck breast on the 2X4. When the duck breast is good and done take the duck breast off and throw it away and eat the 2X4. LOL:happy:

now that sounds like some good duck.

9. flatbottom

flatbottom New Member

State:
    Lamar, Arkansas
    Breast out your ducks. Soak the breasts in Dale's Marinade for 4-8 hours. Wrap each breast in a strip of thick bacon and do them on the grill at 400 degrees for 2-4 minutes a side. Watch them carefully and take them off just after the meat turns from dark red to pinkish brown and is still moist inside. Warning - do not overcook!!!

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Glad to see some new recipes on duck. I love smoked goose ,I also grind goose breasts and season with seasoning and shoot em into jerky strips .
    I cant comment on ducks ,quit hunting them years ago cause I never liked the taste of them.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    closest to a cajun one i know.

braised duck in creole sauce.

1 onion diced
    1 g pepper diced
    6 tbs butter
    12 button mushrooms sliced
    2 garlic cloves smashed and peeled
    16 oz tomato pure'e
    1 cup chicken stock or broth
    2 bay leaves
    1/2 tsp thyme
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
    1 sp chili powder
    1/4 tsp allspice
    4 tsp medeira (dry wine)
    3-4 ducks cut into serving pieces.

salt pepper to taste.

saute onion peppers in 3 tsp of butter. then after 3-4 min add mushrooms. add the rest of ingredients except duck meat and simmer uncovered for 30-40 min. he sauce should be thickish.

while simmering saute duck pieces in remaining 3 tsp of butter in a deep dish or dutch oven un till nicly browned.

add the sauce, cover, and braise at a simmer for 30 min or untill duck is done to taste.

you can coat duck pecies in flour prior to barising if desired.

enjoy.

and i see this was dug from way back in 06,lol.

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Been a long time since Ive had duck. Last time I checked they wanted $38.00 for a frozen one here in the city.

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    wow. thats as funny as this thread being moved after 2 years,lmao.