Waterfowl Hunting Season

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by mangles, Jun 30, 2009.

1. mangles

mangles New Member

State:
    california
    Man I can almost smell the marsh on opening morning. Here in California we had an extended season on white geese, and with all the free time i had this last season I put 70+ days in the feild. But the time the regular and extended season was over, I was tired and ready for it to end. Now, it getting into July and all, I am getting decoys cleaned, gear prepared, and the dog some warmup training and cannot wait till October for that first sunrise over the marsh. It seems like its been forever since march and I still have 3 1/2 months till the opener. Cant wait!

2. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Yep, I know how you feel. We are getting stuff cleaned up and touched up over here too. Im getting some custom decoy bags made up for the boat. Tired of beatin the crap out of the dekes every year and having to do mid-season touchups because the birds get wary and start to flare. Its a fun day when we get all the dekes out in the middle of summer to clean and do touchup work. Nothin better than a couple hundred ducks and geese in the yard lined up like soldiers.

Good luck in the upcoming year to all the fowlers in the BOC and keep us updated on how your doin.

3. mangles

mangles New Member

State:
    california
    I know I have been cleaning hardcores and silosocks for a few days and still have 20 dozen silos to go, but cant wait wish we were already there

4. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    I'd love to get some Hardcore's and some Dakota's but man are they pricey. For now I will stick to the GHG's and Realgeese and Sittinducks.

5. mangles

mangles New Member

State:
    california
    To tell you the truth, if you are hunting snows I would go with the siliosocks cause of the price and they work equally as well in a dry field. We don't get too many honkers down here, around 4to8 a year normally, but my uncle hunts honkers in nevada and has those dave smiths, those are sick. I even heard the honker siliosocks are the bomb too. What kind of ducks do you all shoot, and what about the geese?

6. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    We dont get many snows round these parts....well that are huntable anyway. They seem to stop at the lake (Erie) which is about an hour and a half north of us. Then they leave and the next stop is North Carolina, or at least Maryland. Eastern PA is a different story though. Those guys get alot of them out there. I see thousands of them about a mile up in the sky but VERY few down low. We go to N. Dakota every year and get into them out there. Canadas though are a different story. We get into alot of them over here in the western part of the state. Alot of resident geese and good numbers of migrators too.
    As far as the ducks go, we get a good variety but not a whole lot of numbers. We get wood ducks and teal early in the season, plus resident mallards. Later on we get into some gadwall and widgeon, plus more mallards. We get some divers too occasionally. Weve got tons of buffleheads and sometimes get into goldeneye and ringnecks and bluebills. Havent seen many cans at all in the past couple years. I want to plan a trip out your way some time and get into sprig when theyre comin through. Hopefully that happens some day.

7. mangles

mangles New Member

State:
    california
    Yea the Pintail are THICK out here. Some days you have to really watch out cause that is all that is flyin and you are allowed only one.
    You can watch them land and clap them out of your decoys, it sometimes can get pretty frustrating.
    Here in california we have to hunt on the state refuge. There are two that are pretty local, within 2 1/2 hours, but several more up in the central and north end of the state.
    My Dad and I also belong to a hunting club called wilderness unlimited. It cheap and it is nice to get away from the refuge when its packed. Their duck blinds are so so, but they have some really good snow goose fields.
    You al get Wood Ducks HUH? Wow one of those would look real good on the wall.
    The majoity of the duck down here are pintail, spoonies, greenwing and cinnimon teal, weidgeon, and at time we will see a fair amount of gadwalls. Late season we get quite a few divers, mostly bluebills and redheads, but last year saw quite a few canvasback but they were out of season last year.
    As far as snows there are lots of them. Saw alot of ross the past two years. I think me and the old man killed over 200 this past year of snow and ross combined. I actually got a neck collered ross this year but I guess all those slow days in the field paid off.
    If you ever want to come out this way I am sure I can put you on some birds. You just let me know mid november to december is more than likely the better months, maybe early january just depends on the weather up north.

8. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Thats pretty interesting stuff. Ive read a couple books that had stories about hunting in California. Sounds like its a blast. Like I said before, we go out to North Dakota and get into some snows and ross' out there, but nothing like your getting into. We go the "do it yourself" route for most of the trip and hunt usually 1 or 2 days with a guy we know up there who guides. Ive got a great lookin blue mounted that I shot a couple years ago. That neck collared ross you got is pretty cool. That would make my whole season.:wink:
    We get woodies up here early on and then thats about it. The first couple weeks are good for them and teal but we are just too far north to have them for very long. Woodies are a cool little duck, and yes they look awesome hangin on the wall. Im tryin to get 2 or 3 good drakes and a good hen or 2 and get them mounted sittin on a log, but its hard to get really good plumage up here so early in the season.