waterfowl guns

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by smokeeater3302, Feb 1, 2008.

1. smokeeater3302

smokeeater3302 New Member

State:
    il
    I was wanting to know what you guys were shooting for waterfowl . Also would like to know what the conditions are that you hunting in . I hunt stubble corn 99.9% of the time and it is VERY VERY hard on anything that you take in the field.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    John,I shoot an Ithica mod 37 field grade 3" with a 30 " bbl. it has served me well since 1983,see no need to change. as for field conditions,Milo stubble ,or winter wheat fields,the sandy siol here is tough too ,gotta scrub em after each outing.

3. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    i dont care what anyone else says by far the best waterfowl gun on the market at this time for price ability and durability is the benelli Super BlackEagle II

4. smokeeater3302

State:
    il
    i hunt with benelli's that cant keep up . I have a super black eagle that has a 30" , it cant handle it . I leave it at home and we use it for trap shooting and thats about it

5. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    well comin from where i hunt its alot of cut alphalfa for geese and ponds and rivers for ducks high winds Snow and sub zero temps. ive never had a jam a missfire or any other problem ive droped it in water and shot it the next minute i think they are absolutly one of the best autos on the market. if you want a pump though you cant beat a good ol' Remington 870

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I wunder ,Whear is the Benelli made ,I know whear my Ithica and Mossberg are made.

7. smokeeater3302

State:
    il
    I shoot an OVER and UNDER most of the time , but I also take a 870 sps for my back up
    I know that the Benelli is a good gun , maybe mine is just junk .

8. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    benelli is made in italy

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I aint knockin you for that ,Just have a personal problem with buying any guns that aint made in the good ole USA,thanks but I'll stick with my fav.

10. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    hey you shoot what shoot and we all got are guns.

11. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I have a browning A-5. 30" steel waterfowl barrell chambered for 3". Served me well for a Lot of years.

12. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    I have been shooting a Benelli super black eagle now for around 17 years and so far the only trouble I've had is a broke ejector. It's been through it all mud, salt, fine soil and sand. I 1st I shot a rem 1100 then a 1187 witch my dad is still gunning with and its been around the world twice from Argentina to Canada and back again. If you take care of your gun it will take care of you!

13. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    :big_smile:This thread is alot deeper than you think,American/Import and auto /pumps.This is my take and i hunt alot.If you hunt 10 to 15 times a year no mater the conditions for duck and goose in corn stuble and river blinds and you want to care for your gun with little attenion as you dont have time.A Mossberg 500 pump can do what you want with out fail for 18 years i know i got one that kills all the ducks and geese i need.They are a little higher now but can still be had for under 259.00$.Just a wipe off with a oil cloth and a drop on the reciever every so often and away you go.Now you Automatics those little premadonnas need alot of care and even then can get a little tempermental.For your money the 11-87 Remington is a good choice as my buddy has had one as long as i have,we had to buy new ones in 1989 because of the steel shot thing.It get alot more care but it is wood stock and forearm.He and i ,if we ever wear these out would defintly go with the new matt barrel and reciever and synthetic stocks.I think the Benneli is a great gun for some but i dont hunt in Italy and a lot of time if a guy has one over on the river blind it is more for prestege than anything,you got to have the bucks to have one.

14. Talkinquack

Talkinquack New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I first started duck hunting 17 years ago with a Remington 870 express which I still have. It's an all purpose gun. Then I switched to a Remington 1100 and it got a little to heavy to be toting through the woods and swamps 4 and 5 times a week. So last year I bought a Mossberg 935 with a 26" barrel. It now is my primary meat stick. It's been to the salt marshes of Louisiana and all the lakes and swamps around here at home and it's still shooting just fine. I've killed more ducks and geese with it than I have with any other shotgun I own.

15. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Corn stubble hard on stuff???...Only my boots. We hunt either out of a boat in salt water, or salt marshes. By the end of the day, no matter how hard you try, everything is covered in mud, sand, silt etc. Heck, i've come home and cleaned my gun and found marsh grass inside. Love my 870 express. Its ugly, but it gets the job done no matter how dirty it is. Heck, the occasional 870 has even been dropped overboard (or knocked over by the dog). Take the barrel off, push the mud out with a piece of marsh grass, rinse it in the salt water and go on about your business.

16. smokeeater3302

State:
    il
    This past season there were two times that When I came home . My wife thought that I was crazy , because I took my gun straight to the shower with me . That was to only way that I could get everything off of that gun . I was just wanting to get an idea what everyone was shooting thanks for the help. I guess that everyone has there fav's and there is nothing going to change that . Pick something that works and stick with it till it feels like second nature .

17. BROWNING7MMMAG

BROWNING7MMMAG New Member

State:
    VIRGINIA
    CAN'T BEAT THE 835 ULTI MAG FOR DURABILITY

18. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I hunted last year with a 935 Flyway 28 inch barrel, this year I bought a Stoeger 2000 cheap and I Love it. It has a 24 inch Barrel and it works better for me. We hunt Corn fields out of layout blinds and I like the shorter barrel. I don't shoot that many geese so the 935 3.5 inch canon is now for Sale.

19. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I hunt with a Mossberg 935 mag, its my multi purpose gun coz I cant afford to have specialty guns. I have a field, turkey, rifled slug barrel, and about any constriction choke a guy could need. I shoot everything from 2-3/4" to 3-1/2" shot, and 3" sabots. I have never had a failure. Patterns true, runs like a sewing machine.
    I have a buddy who hunts ducks on a weekly basis during season, he's the one who sold me on the 935. I know that his gun has been in the drink as many times as he has, stepped on in the mud, and dropped out of the seat of his truck upon occasion. Ruff life for a gun, yes. But he hoses it off and gives it a shot of oil and it keeps running. I recommend it. I have a whopping $800.00 in mine with all the barrels and chokes, and I can hunt anything with it, and know its gonna run when the time comes.

20. catman fl

catman fl New Member

State:
    fl
    I shoot a 870 rem 20ga 3" mag that is built on the 12ga frame.I hunt with it I shoot trap & skeet. they haven't made this gun in 35 or 40 years. I beleave that I have about 50ooo or so shells thew the gun.have a spare barrel with screw in chokes. I shoot steel & lead shot out of the gun.I have hit the gun on the side of my duck boat when ice built up on the slide shooting ducks on the missippi with a chill factor of 18 deg.