Waterfowl Fishing (Yes Waterfowl F-I-S-H-I-N-G)

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by H2O Mellon, Jun 27, 2006.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I had the sbsoulete dumbest idea I've had in a while: I took all 3 kids fishing after work.

Lets see.....

0 Fish
    1 Hooked Ear (3 year old boy)
    1 Hooked Shirt (7 year old boy)
    counless near misses (hooks, bobber, powerbait to the head, but no more stuck hooks)
    1 Duckling..... Yes I am sure you want to hear this story right?

Drew was casting a Joes Flie Muddler w/ a #8 hook along w/ a stinger trebble hook. A group of 4 Ducklings came swimming by. They darn near attacked Vivianne. Why? I have no idea. As Drew was reeling in his line one duckling tried to eat it, luckily he misses it, but then comes out of the water, onto the shore & eats the fly. OH MAN, The fight is now on. Drew was using a light action Zebco Jeff Gordon spincast outfit. That little Duckling was taking out drag! I took the rod, got the duck in to the bank & w/ the pliars was able to basicaly shake the hook out of it's beak. The duck seemed fined afterwards. I hope it just had a very sore mouth. One of the strangest things I've seen. I mean this thing came out of the water & up to the edge of Drew's feet (just inches from him)

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have been tempted to go out one night and scoop me up about a dozen geese with my old pay-pond dip net:big_smile: . i hear geese are really good....? our area is so infested with geese and ducks i'd doubt anyone would pitch a b#$@H.

3. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Geez you can't even hook into a big duck can you! What would Jack do? Seriously I hope that your kids are not traumatized by this event!

Aaron

TA2D

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yea right, they were laughing the whole time. :confused2: Vivianne tried to reach down & pet it as I was trying to get the hook out. My kids have a sick idea of fun.

Seiously Drew did try to reel the fly in fast, but there was no chance, that duck was determined to eat the fly. I'm glad the duck was okay, but Dink is right, we have so many of these things that they need to be thinned out. I'd hate to see what Drew could do w/ a 12 ga & some steel shot!!!!

5. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    You could effectivly chum an area like that..... hmmm..... maybe that would be a little to messy!

Aaron

TA2D

6. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    i hooked a pretty young duck when i was a lot younger. i was fishing with a treble hook and the duck hit it when i was reeling it in. he grabbed it, shook his head all over to get it off its beak and ended up getting the treble in it's wings. pulling the hook out to set him free was a sucky, long process but he turned out alright. funny you mention that...

7. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    One of these days your kids are going to say to their kids, "grandpa took us fishing and you won't believe what happened" :big_smile::lol::roll_eyes:

8. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I caught a shitaquart (blue heron) on a Zoom Super Fluke once, but after a little fight, he turned it loose. I don't think it was ever hooked. He just wanted it bad enough to fight for it.

9. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio

I'll pay you for every one you kill. I hate those things. They need to have a hunting season on them.

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    If they know "Grandpa" they will believe it! Heh,heh.peewee-williams ps,That is experience talking.People seem to love to tell my offspring the things that I have gotten into.

11. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Up on Georgian Bay when we were 11 and 13 respectively, my older bro and I had a field day catching perch. One that got foul hooked was only 5 inches long, so when we stopped with my dad for a shore lunch my bro tied it to the end of his line (no hook) and cast into a flock of sky-carp (seagulls). A bird took it and ate it and my bro yanked back on the rod just as it got airborn.

The guide went NUTS. Apparently he was affiliated with Ontario Provincial Police and he was a part time game warden. He took the rod from my bro, reeled in the line and fought the bird for a bit until the gull barfed up the perch and took off. Lucky we didnt have a hook on it.

after a stern lecture with a lot of "aboots" and "ehs" in it, we were let off the hook.