Wateree ?????????? Whats wrong?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by kennethu, Jan 15, 2010.

1. kennethu

kennethu New Member

State:
    sc
    Man, I got skunked for 2nd day straight. In 2 days we fished from beaver creek to cedar creek dam and didn't get a single hookup, drifted , anchored, frozen gizzard shad, threadfin, shiners, and pinfish. Tried 4/0 - 8/0 , big bait and small pieces, and maybe got 6 or 7 bites from sun up to sun down. I think I need to go see a voodoo dr. to get this curse off of me? :laugh1:All in all 2 great days to be on the water just not to fish ! Gonna give it a try Sun am if weather holds out. Oh and by the way fished fishing creek res. 2 days ago with no luck also!!

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    90% of the fish are in 10% of the water. Winter time usually congregates them in smaller specific areas, usually in deeper water. There are exceptions to the rule though.

Bill in SC

3. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    Kennethu, I don't think it's a curse. I had a real time report today from Lake Moultrie, same thing, and I was on Greenwood today, we got 1 nice channel and 4 smaller ones. It is just somthing to do with the crazy weather we've been having. I can't figure it out either. :dont-know:

Hopefully someone with a vast knowledge of winter catfish behavior will enlighten me or the catfish will just say, "forget the weather, we're hungry and we're going to eat". LOL By the way, the channels we got weren't really that plump.

4. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    i think they are eating the weak shad now and they are not having to work or move far also from my experience this time of year you find them or you don't they usually are not spread out

5. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    The few channels we got on Greenwood were mud stained. They were hunkered down in the mud. Water temp was 39 to 40 degrees in the Reedy and later down lake it was up to around 44 degrees. There was no signs of dead or dying shad, in fact there was almost no sign of any bait. Later in the afternoon we saw a couple birds take a few shad, but nothing like normal.

All in all it was a very pleasant day on the water. The kind of day you really enjoy being alive, of course a good fishing partner makes it all the more enjoyble. I wish everyone the same experience.

6. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    Almost forgot, there were large ice patches up river. One about 50 yards across and over 1/2" in thickness. The boats ahead of us had broken most of it into 2' to 4' slabs. Neat!!!!

7. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    the bite is slow on wateree right now just give it time

8. flatheadsalyer1

flatheadsalyer1 New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I think it's slow everywhere. Hartwell has been crap all week for cats, but the stripes are bitin decent.