Wateree river

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Rem 760, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Rem 760

Rem 760 New Member

State:
    SC, Lugoff
    Anyone ever fished teh wateree river for cats? I just started getting into catfishing and was wondering how the river is. I'm on the upper part around Lugoff-Camden area. There is a ramp off the 601 Imay try. I have a bass boat but no jon boat so certain river fishing is limited. I have fished Monticello with average luck. This past Friday we had 7. Great site and thanks for havin me...Greg

2. fishinnut

fishinnut New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I'm sure Gator and Harper can hook you up, I fished the lake many years ago, always wanted to fish the river but never got around to it. These guy's know their stuff.

3. fishinnut

fishinnut New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Oh, welcome to the BOC.

4. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Welcome to the Boc Greg.

5. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I fish the middle part of the river down between Columbia and Sumter. Haven't been out in a few weeks, but last time out water was low and gar were everywhere. GatorT fishes that area so he can give you more specifics. But I have no doubt there are some big boys hiding in that river somewhere.

6. Rem 760

Rem 760 New Member

State:
    SC, Lugoff
    Whats up Harper, its ludi from work. I didnt know you were on here. We will have to hook up and get out one day now that I will be a Mr. tomorrow after 9 am..lol Take care...Greg

7. nasty nate

nasty nate New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Greg, welcome to the BOC.

8. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've fished the lower end of the Wateree a good bit but never that far upstream.

9. DamonG

DamonG Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Welcome to the BOC Greg. there are some good people on here that really know how to fish and catch big ones, just keep looking and reading and you will find out a lot.

10. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Yep, this has been my home away from home for a while now. I am leaving next week to start my training for Afghanistan so I'll have to catch you in about 8 months.

11. Rem 760

Rem 760 New Member

State:
    SC, Lugoff
    That stinks man. I thought you were on 3-4 when we were in the desert? I guess I'll be over there with Mcentire in the spring. So im being told. Anyway ill catch up with ya later..take care.

12. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Yeah - there are big cats in the river, but it's tricky to navigate. I do most of my fishing down river from HWY1 landing. But, like I said, be careful. There's nothing wrong with idle speed to check things out. Old railroad tresels, rock bars, stumps, log jams and very, very shallow water at times.

But there are monsters in there. The biggest flathead we've pulled out was about 75 pounds. (On rod and reel) And some very, very nice blues. In fact, I've done a lot better on the river than I've ever done on the lake.

Bait's harder to catch, as far as with a throw net. Fishing the eddys and behind the sandbars for bream with hook and bait seems to work pretty well.

Hope this helps. Good luck and be careful.

13. Rem 760

Rem 760 New Member

State:
    SC, Lugoff
    Is it even worth my while to bank fish it at the hwy 1 landing. It looks shallow there. I dont think ill be putting my fiberglass boat in there anytime soon. Ill wait until I pick up a jon boat for that. Thanks for the info and take care.

14. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Not really. Like you said, it's really shallow. As far as bank fishing, I'd go on up to the dam. And I've had decent luck on the other side of the dam at Buckhill on the lake.

That's pretty much it, as far as bank fishing near by. Or, that I know about.

15. Rem 760

Rem 760 New Member

State:
    SC, Lugoff
    I usually dump in at Buck hill or clear water so I know where thats at. I always see people bank fishing at buck hill when I head out. Must be a decent spot. Again thanks for the info.

16. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Welcome to the BOC Greg.

17. fishingfool

fishingfool New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Some of the biggest Cats I have caught down there have been right at the Dam. If you can get your hands on a johnboat there is a landing below the dam. only down side to this is there are alot of debris on the bottom. If you can find calm waters behind some of the bigger rocks/logs ect.. and fish with cutbait or whole shad you may have good luck with those. You can also try fishing below Hwy 1 landing, right past Dupont. Some big kittyies have been caught down stream there as well. Yeah by the way welcome to BOC.

18. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Gregg, i have put in 601 Bates Landing, and one of my favorite places to fish in the fall. I usually go down river below were the wateree runs into the congree. Right were the 2 rivers come togeather are some good places that produce big cats. I'll start in that area and work my way down fishn the log jams on the outside bends. Use gizzard shad heads, always worked for me in the past. This time of year on the wk ends boat traffic is so bad i don't even go. The fall is the best time to fish for the big boys

19. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina

That's my neck of the woods. I'd like to say that we typically fish this area during the summer and we've caught some pretty good fish over the years. Just fish at night and the boat traffic is no problem. We do our most damage with live and cut bream. I've never had the success with shad or herring that I have with bream in the river.:wink:

20. Palmetto

Palmetto New Member

State:
    Elgin, SC
    gotta go- I have heard a lot about that spot where the Wateree and Congaree come together. I have a 15' Fiberglass boat I am just getting geared up for some hard fishing. What is the river like down there? Would it be dumb to put a fiberglass boat in?

I know I have put in at Hwy #1 in a Jon Boat heading downstream on the Wateree River, and was sorta spooked by RR ties and giant rocks as the river suddenly fell. I guess I could put this boat in there and not go so far downstream as last time, but it doesn't exactly make me feel comfortable!

I am hoping the River is bigger, deeper, and a little more stable farther from the dam, is that the case? Maybe I still need a canoe or Jon boat... :eek:oooh:

Thanks to all- I have enjoyed reading your posts for some time, and now that I have a boat going I will be posting instead of just getting mad at all these hogs on the avatars!