Wateree River in south carolina 5-9-09

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by harper81, May 9, 2009.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Well my daughter decided to stay at a friends house tonight, so me and the wife hit the river even though its a bit high and fast. Got to the 378 ramp about 5:30 pm and went on the perch hunt. We went to one spot and the gar were everywhere. There were probably 8 gar swimming around. We caught a few perch and I told my wife we can try to catch one if she wanted. She has been wanting to catch something that will put up a fight, as all she ever catches is perch. So I put a perch fillet on and to my amazement not a single one of those gar went after it.

But while she was waiting for them to bite I had a hit on my rod that had a redworm on it for the perch and when I got it in, it was a 4lb blue. That is my biggest cat on a redworm to date. So we tried a few spots and got some nibbles, but no takers. On the way out I wanted to try one spot again. It just looked too sweet to not hold any fish. So baited up the rods with perch fillets and 10 min later the rod goes down. I pick it up and it felt good so I handed it off to the wife. She had a blast reeling this fish in. We get it in the boat and weighed it up and its 15lb. She is now hooked on cats...LOL!!!

I wanted to let it go, but we didn't have the camera and I knew she wanted a pic so to the table it goes. In the pic that is as close as she will get to it. She loves to fish, but is afraid of fish. Figure that one out.:roll_eyes:

Attached Files:

2. flatheadsalyer1

flatheadsalyer1 New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Bill those are some nice fish! Having the wife hooked on catfish is even better. Makes getting the fishing pass a whole lot easier to obtain. Glad yall did good! Congrats to the wife as well!!

Steve

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Bill every report you make gets better and better. It wont be long and you will be loading the boat up every trip. Tell your wife congrats on the big blue. Sounds like you have a permanent fishing partner now.

4. racinrodes88

racinrodes88 New Member

State:
    Marion, SC
    congrats on the catch Fishing is the only piece and quite i get she wanted to go huntin and shot one and was hooked so she is not goin fishin thats my piece and quite

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Russel I was thinking the same thing.LOL:smile2:

6. deerhntr22

deerhntr22 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    Nice job...sounds like yall had a blast

7. bcgamecock

bcgamecock New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey Harper, this may sound crazy, but when you have those gar swimming all around you and chasing your bait back to the boat but not biting, the best way to catch them is with a frayed piece of white anchor rope.

Cut off about a 6" section of anchor rope, fray one end of it up real good, then tie a steel leader to the other end. When you can see the gar, toss it out to them. They'll mouth it and there teeth will get snagged in the frays and they can't throw it out then.

I know it sounds crazy but it works. I keep one in my tackle box and every time I tie it on the people with me think I'm FOS at first, but it never fails.