Wateree River below the dam!

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by flatheadsalyer1, Aug 1, 2008.

1. flatheadsalyer1

flatheadsalyer1 New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I have to make the trip to fort Jackson this weekend for drill, figured I would see whats happening below the dam. I think I will give it a try Saturday night from the banks. Anyone know what the bite is like right now? Any help would be appreciated?

2. cobra

cobra New Member

State:
    north carolina
    if they are pulling the water go down to lugoff and fish the rocks for flatheads and channels, some stripers when the water is pumping
    cobra

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I only fished there once years ago.
    All I know is - when the alarm goes off, don't wait! Grab your stuff and head for high ground. That water comes up in a hurry when they open the gates!

(I have fished other areas below dams, and the water rise was nothing compared to when they opened up at Wateree.)

4. flatheadsalyer1

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Thanks!I usually fish between them running water. They usually run it 1 hour on and 2 hours off. I will let you all know how it goes when I get back!

5. flatheadsalyer1

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I went to the wateree saturday night. BAD IDEA!!!!!! The worst thunderstorm I have seen in four or five years hit. I wet lines for about fifteen minutes, then the bottom fell out. The ride from the dam to fort jackson usually takes about a half hour. Well on this day with the rain so bad, it took an hour and 20 minutes. So mr. whiskers will get to swim another day.