Wateree River 5-7

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by johnboy, May 7, 2008.

1. johnboy

johnboy New Member

State:
    Columbia SC
    Caught 6 tonight, including a 18 and a nice 8....cut herring....i was due a biggun down there so I finally got me one..........had a great night striper fishing too this week....but I forgot where I caught em............let the big boy go tonight, so i can go back and catch him again!!!

Attached Files:

2. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Where did you put in? I have fished there once before. Beautiful river.
    Any recommendations?

3. johnboy

johnboy New Member

State:
    Columbia SC
    I always put in at 378...I prefer to go downriver because the river makes a bunch of really tight bends. Like some other rivers, it has been way up for the past few weeks, ands now it is low. This has changed a lot of the snags and such. If you take a little time, this river is full of perch and they work well, I never have tried to net bait there but I bet you can on the sandbars. Herring works pretty good too. One thing I have learned lately about the river, if I am fishing a log jam or brush pile, when the fish are there, they will usually hit within 20 minutes. Really, within 5 minutes....

jb

4. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Nice catch and thanks for the pictures.Youre right about the bends in the river,it could be named the snake river around 378.How many stripers did you catch and do you ever see any wild hogs/pigs on the sandbars/banks?

5. johnboy

johnboy New Member

State:
    Columbia SC
    caught 20stripers this week....they are all still swimming too. Seen a bunch of turkeys this spring..i have seen plenty of pigs in the past....Deer too, a few bald eagles.....cant beat it!!

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <One thing I have learned lately about the river, if I am fishing a log jam or brush pile, when the fish are there, they will usually hit within 20 minutes. Really, within 5 minutes....>

ABSOLUTELY!! Don't waste over 20 minutes max on a spot, and like you said usually within 5 to 10 minutes. James and I were discussing just this week how also, it seems like when you catch one fish out of a hole, it spooks the other fish in that hole into not biting for a while. I have marked numerous holes with 4 or 5 nice fish lying on the bottom, but rarely catch but one per hole. My honey hole area is about a mile long and I think I am going to start fishing the holes back and forth, to let the fish settle down after catching one.
    BB in SC