Wateree River 4-24-09

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by harper81, Apr 24, 2009.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Took the wife and daughter out tonight on a little excursion. Put in at 378 bridge and headed downstream about 10 min. to our favorite little beach. Set up shop and my wife began catching me bait. She ended up catching 20 perch, 2 of some kind of sunfish (they all look about the same too me), and one little little little catfish. So about 6:30 I baited up some rods and started fishing. Really had very little hope on the day, but kept the rods out anyway.

Around 8 I pulled in a 3 pounder and then about 8:45 I was cleaning some things up since we were about to leave and I heard a splash and my wife about lost her mind telling me my rod was about to go in the water. I grabbed it and the fight was on. I haven't had a fight like this ever. I don't know if river catfish fight harder or if its just the current, but it was an awesome fight. I got it beach and got the scale, weighed in at 27 lbs. Not my actual pb, but it is my pb without a guide taking me to the fish. My wife and daughter wanted me to keep it, but I said no way. Just wish we had our camera, but hopefully I'll catch something even bigger soon.

The only thing that sucks is when I popped the hook out somehow it managed to go down its throat and I couldn't get it back so I had to cut the line. I hate leaving hooks in fish.

So summary 2 catfish caught on perch fillets, 27 and 3 lbs.

2. scwolf

scwolf New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the report Bill, sounds like an exciting ending to the fishing trip.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Great story, Bill. Glad you folks had a productive trip. Don't fret over leaving the hook, the fish will get rid of it easily enough, and will likely be none the worse. That was the best thing to do in that situation. Catfish are amazing, the way they can rid themselves of foreign objects, even if the hook doesn't dissolve. I've seen them pass objects through the abdominal wall, in fact, and absorb objects from the abdominal cavity and pass them through their gut.

4. johnboy

johnboy New Member

State:
    Columbia SC
    awseome job man....congrats

5. Robbie Norton

Robbie Norton New Member

State:
    Florence S.C
    Bill its better to have the hook in the catfish throat than in your finger:roll_eyes: but at least you an your wife got two:smile2: and had a good time:cool2::smile2:

6. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Bill, you posted on here a while back about hitting Wateree.

I went all brain dead and just automatically assumed you were talking about the upper part, where I am. That's the part that's so treacherous. I apologize for being so blunt last time, but I really wanted to get it across to you that this part of the river is really dangerous.

Down around 378 it's pretty good running.

Congratulations on your last trip down Wateree. That current sure can make fighting a fish real fun.

And if you want the wife to agree to go fishing with you more often, every now and then hand her the rod on one of those big cats. You won't be able to stop her from going with you the next time. She'll be waking you up early on Saturday mornings talking about "I was thinking, maybe we could go fishing today...":wink:

7. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Funny you should write that, after I caught the 3lber she asked if she could reel in the next one. When I picked the rod up for the big one, she was standing there ready to take over. But once I felt it, I said let me take this one since its a bigg'un. After she watched me she said she wanted nothing to do with that one anyway. She just wants a to reel in the smaller guys, for now. LOL.

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Hehe; what she meant was that she wanted nothing to do with you, for catching her fish. lol

9. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Every since my wife reeled in her first 50lb blue I catch heck beating to a loaded rod.:smile2: She's since learned to bait, cast, and catch with the best of them and loves spending the night out on the water. Even big baitcasting reels don't slow her down. In fact I'll usually just cat nap most afternoons away in camp just watching her fish on her on from shore.

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Great story, Bill!!

Bill in SC

11. countryboy1616

countryboy1616 New Member

State:
    Darlington, S.C.
    Great story Bill, I have always wanted to try the Wateree river. I hope to go to the Big Pee Dee soon with Bill from Society Hill / Bennitsville area.

Rohn