Wateree River; 378 bridge

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by harper81, Mar 14, 2008.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Had a few gizzard shad in the freezer from a few weeks ago so decided since the Wateree Dam man was nice enough to finally dump some water and refill the river I'd go out and give it a shot. I have seen it higher, but obviously I have seen it way lower. It was almost the perfect level that I like it. The current was a little swift, but nothing a few ounces of lead couldn't handle. I fished the first spot that I always fish, the downstream side of the bridges and got nothing after an hour. So I decided to move to the upstream side so my bait would drift by the pillars and on my first cast bam nice little 3 lb. channel.

I couldn't find my stringer so I gave it to a guy fishing near me since I seen he had another fish on his stringer. So he pulls his stringer in and he has a bowfin on it. I told him what it was and recommended he didn't eat it, but he didn't seem to care. Maybe they are good I don't know, but all I have heard is they are a trash fish. I also noticed he had a little striped bass on his stringer and since I am the nice guy I am I told him he might want to get rid of it. Especially since I was looking across the river at a DNR truck at the ramp.

Anyway fished about 2 1/2 hours. Only got the one fish, but I am just really happy to see the river is full of water again.

2. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Harper there will be a few of those american shad come up wateree river if they are letting water off. caught a few last yr below wateree dam while dipping gizzard shad. they will be there in huge numbers also soon. some up to 2 lbs.

3. meclaydog

meclaydog New Member

State:
    sc
    sure wish you had had better luck i was supposed to go next weekend to big pee dee and try my luck but some family issues are gonna keep me near home but since i live about 10 minutes from landing at highway1 in camden so i put in there usually have some luck down near I20 and farther south depending on how my daughters surgery goes i may try and run down to congaree i havent had my big fix yet this year of a 20+ lb fish ill keep everyone informed

4. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Welcome to the BOC. One fish is pretty good luck for me. Its a B!@#$ fishing without a boat. So anytime I get even one fish, its a good day.

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Welcome to the BOC Clayton.

Good luck next weekend.