Wateree 11-5... only ONE bite.... but...

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Palmetto, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Palmetto

Palmetto New Member

State:
    Elgin, SC
    Well, Thursday night I had a trip lined up with a friend of mine from Computer Sciences Corporation (where I used to work, yeah High-Tech Redneck!)

Of course, when I called him up right before time to go he was whinin' about his EAR hurting. (I told him it had a string hangin' out of it, but it mighta gone over his head! :wink: DOH!)

(Don't worry, Gary- I won't put your name in this post! DOH!!!)

So, of course I stayed home, right! NAH!! I already had "permission fer fishin'" and I wasn't about to waste it...

Using some tips I got during my trip with GatorT, I set up a good drift with my newly acquired rod-holders in my 15' boat.

I drifted for a couple of hours in the cold wind (put in right at dark) with NOTHING. No bites at all.

I was drifting cut white perch, cut gizzard, threadfin, and bream, whole and cut. I was getting a bit chapped, as it was about 45 degrees with about an 8-10 MPH wind. I was just beginning to fret that I needed that dadgum fish finder when rod #3 started screaming. Now, this is my favorite reel- OLD Garcia Ambassador on one UUUGGGLYYY stick. Line was blistering off the reel, even though I had set the drag TIGHT. I knew when I was struggling to get it out of the rodholder that I had a good fish on.

Now, I have caught several cats over 15-25 lbs. or so, but this was something else! This line was WAAY out behind the boat, but it was nearly 30 minutes before I saw the fish. He came up in the moonlight, and I saw that he was 3-4 ft. long and TICKED OFF! He made about five hard runs when I got him back up to the top, and finally my back was wore out and I just sat down and let him pull the 15' boat around a little. (which he DID, it surprised me how much he could move it!)

Now, the landing net upgrade has not happened yet (one step at a time), so here I was with a cut-off metal-mesh net that I use below the dam for to get threadfins. ONLY HIS HEAD WOULD FIT!

I ended up getting his head in the net, and got my left arm under his FAT belly- I hoisted him up over the side and landed him in my Rubbermaid slime-zone, which he promptly smashed into pieces! I guess it had gotten more sun than I thought, it was kinda brittle.

Anyway, this muscle-head was exactly 36" long, and a new PB at 28 lbs.!
    (Dang I thought he would have weighed over 35- how much weight did he lose overnight? It was the next morning at about 10:00 when I weighed him after about 12 hrs. on ice?)

He fought twice as hard as any cat I have caught before, even ones fairly close to his size.

And yes, he was C,P,F&S (Caught, Photographed, Fried and Stewed- sorry, just got laid off and have 4 kids and a hot wife to feed- praise the Lord for providing old Muscle-Head!)

:big_smile:

...and, thanks again to GatorT for showing me how to drift without hangin' up!

2 hrs. later, still no more bites... back to Dutchman's to the truck... with a victory!

2. Palmetto

Palmetto New Member

State:
    Elgin, SC
    :big_smile:

Attached Files:

3. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Congrats on nice fish 28 pounder is nothing to sneeze at good job:cool2::smile2::big_smile:

Whats your face turning so red for holding that fish???

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  4. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    your scales or wrong, that fish is at least 35lbs:big_smile: Enjoyed the story. You never did tell us what bait you caught it on.

5. Palmetto

Palmetto New Member

State:
    Elgin, SC
    Haha, thanks man.

Yeah, red-faced and biting my tongue- that's funny I do that when picking up big fish or tryin' to hit the hole on a hook with my line using the head-lamp!

Oh, here's another pic...

bait of choice? BIGMOUTH BREAM!!

Attached Files:

6. Palmetto

Palmetto New Member

State:
    Elgin, SC
    The truth is, he took a BIG white perch fillet- the whole side of a white perch that had to be fairly close to a lb.

(he volunteered by biting a minnow as I passed a dock with the light on..)

I staged the pic with the bass in his mouth to mess with a friend of mine who is a Big-Mouth Bream Pro. :)

7. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    Great job on that biggun...... He looks way more than 28 I also agree that your scales may be off... Electronic scales are the worst ever get that cheap 5 dollar manual scale from wal-mart they are almost dead on....:wink:

8. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    i agree that fish is bigger than 28 at least 35. great job though man

9. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Congrads on a very nice fish.I too enjoyed the picture with the bass in its mouth.I bet that took you friends breath when he saw it!!:crazy: But hey,Im glad theres guys who like to fish for the bass,,,thats less folks fishing for the catfish and stripers.

10. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    good fish darren

11. FishN4Fun

FishN4Fun New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Congrats on the catch. I've seen several folks overestimate the weight of their fish but I think you are the first to underestimate:wink:. I agree with the other folks, just looking at the photo it looks like that fish is upwards of 35 lbs. Alot of the digital scales lose most accuracy over 10-15 lbs. I use a spring scale that is accurate to within and 8th of pound up to 60 lbs.

12. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    :smile2: I agree
    I have used the wal mart scales and they always break under the pressure of a big fish. I have 2 sets of scales these days and both are spring loaded. Maybe i just got lemons, with the wal mart scales, but after 4 sets i figured it was time to change.:wink:
    I think i'll get me a set like i got on the BOC, but with the longer handle that goes up to 100 lb, can't ever tell when i might get lucky. Plus i like the bigger grip. Its on my wish list. Congrats again on the Big Cat, he's big no matter how much he weighs:big_smile: