waterdogs?

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by andrew76, Dec 18, 2008.

1. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Now let me ask, has any one ever heard of or used a waterdog? A waterdog is a type of lizzerd that rapidly reproduses a burrys in the banks of ponds and lakes like muskrat. Thats why it illigal to use them in paylakes here in ohio. OH BUT THAT ARE GREAT CATFISH BAIT!!!!!

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Andrew,I have used them here in New Mexico. They are a great bait for cats ,But they will really tear up the bass during the spawning season. They are NOT a lizard though. They are the newt stage of a salamander.

3. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I have caught waterdogs on a trotline but only in the wintertime for some
    reason. They will swallow the hook and eat the drop all the way to the
    main line. The ones I caught were about 16" long. I have heard they make
    good bait. Old timers say a bedding largemouth will hit a waterdog because
    the waterdog eats their eggs. The plastic lizards mimic waterdogs.

4. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Water dog's will knock the hell out the bass up here when the bass are on the spawn same goes for craippie and bull gill

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    One time when a freind and I were fishing for catfish many years ago and we used a lot of chicken livers back in those days and caught mostly channelcats and a few blues. One night while fishing the edge of a deep channel and along a rock bluff....we were getting nibbles on the livers and my friend decided to just jerk. He starting reeling it in and said hey...I got something small. As he reeled it in something huge grabbed a hold of it but didnt get the hook set and as it got to the top of the water....a monstrous Flathead followed it up to the surface and made a go after it at the surface and it was the biggest Flathead that I have ever seen. This fish made a roll and splash the size of a small car. It missed the bait and as we got it up to get a better look at it...it was a mud-puppy or ( Water Dog)about 12-14 " long. It was about 12 midnight when this happened and We quickly lowered it back down to try and see if the big fish would go after it again...but it was gone back down to the depths. I believe this fish looked to be 100+lbs. I'll never forget it as long as I live and this is what got me started fishing for Flatheads over 30 years ago. Now I use big live baits for all my Flathead fishing. I would love to get back down to Old Hickory sometime and go back to this spot and fish it with what I know now. I have never caught or seen another water-dog caught...but I believe they are some excellent bait for Monster Flatheads!:crazy:

6. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    They are awesome flathead baits. We use to be able to get them here along the colorado river but after ca made them illegal I haven't been able to find them anywhere. Is a shame as they are great for channels also.

:cool2:

7. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Right on Poppa; many years ago I caught 18 of them overnight (river was dropping) on trotline w/night crawlers in the middle of February (warm spell); all had taken the hooks to they’re stomach; in fact I’ve never caught one that hasn’t. They’re very tough characters; when I catch them I leave hook w/ dropper alone and use them as bait back on the trotline or limb line by hooking through the tail, they’ll live for days on the hook, and with the other hook in their stomach, and they do make excellent flathead bait.

Thanks for the info about plastic lizards and nesting bass. The old timers here say when the waterdogs start biting, quit fishing.

Here’s the ones I’m referring to:

http://amphibiaweb.org/cgi/amphib_query?where-genus=Necturus&where-species=maculosus&account=amphibiaweb

http://www.bio.umass.edu/biology/conn.river/mudpup2.html

These are not same creature as the Hellbender, which is getting rare in most of it’s original range (I remember seeing one of these as a young child):

http://www.hellbenders.org/abouthellbenders.html

“Hellbenders (Cryptobranchus alleganiensis) are extremely large, completely aquatic salamanders native to the eastern United States. The largest hellbender ever recorded was nearly 2 1/2 ft. long…. Hellbenders were once widely distributed throughout the Appalachian Mountains and across the midwestern United States to the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas and Missouri …….. Hellbender populations have drastically declined throughout their range, mainly because of declining stream quality……The last great hellbender streams likely occur in a narrow region of rugged mountains extending from eastern West Virginia south through Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, and ending in north Georgia. A small area of northwestern Pennsylvania also harbors several good watersheds. …”

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I caught one about 8" or so last week on a piece of cut carp. He wasn't even hooked but got wrapped up in the line and was around its neck when I brought him in. I kept him but I have no idea how a dead one will work for bait...:confused2:

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Upon further review of your good posts and pictures....I believe what we caught was indeed a " HELLBENDER".:big_smile: