Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know how many others have tried waterdogs for flattie bait but if you can find them they are almost a sure thing, I used to use them alot but am having a hard time catching any in recent years. I you run across some give them a try under a float and let them drift into a flattie hole!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Don't know how many others have tried waterdogs for flattie bait but if you can find them they are almost a sure thing, I used to use them alot but am having a hard time catching any in recent years. I you run across some give them a try under a float and let them drift into a flattie hole!
Not to sound stupid but whats a water dog?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
waterdog mudpuppy are the same thing just regional names differ. they are not the juvinile tiger salamander they are their own species and remain in the salamander with feathery gills stage their whole life, a bait a fish just can not resist. the only problem is that they are real sensative to water pollution and don't survive in bad water, ued to be in every pond and yearround mud puddle around here, now they are becoming a rarity anymore, I was thinking that anyone with access to them might want to try them out, if you hadn't already.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no not a salamander but they look alot like one. only they have external gills that are kind of feathery looking things. salamanders ,waterdogs, etc are nest robbers in the water world, any fish that makes a nest will attack them on sight.

·
Registered
260 Posts
i have and still use salamanders whenever i can, i have buddies that have offered me 20.00 a dozen to get them some for a tourny, but it takes me 4-5 hours to find that many at my spot, i hook mine through the tail twice and have caught up to 4 nice channels on the same one, tough skin ,my favorite bait by far

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.