Waterdogs?

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by GwillE, Jun 27, 2009.

1. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    I'm gonna head out to bartlet this week and I been wanting to try waterdogs. can anyone give me any tips on how to use? and were to purchase? thanks guys!

2. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    I haven't used them myself in years. They're expensive and hard to find. I've heard the guys that use 'em say to cut their legs off so they don't burrow into the mud. Seems like grim work to me! Blue gills can be readily caught on the lake and a great bait as thye're natural prey.

3. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    why cut the legs off? just give the line a little tug every 5-10 minutes and they are in open. i wish i could get some here in yuma, but no one will handle them.
    gary

4. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    thanks zonaman! ive heard there is a bait shop by lake pleasant that sells waterdogs. only problem is that i live in tempe.:angry:

5. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Yes, they are very expensive for bait. But if/when you can't catch any sunfish, carp, or bluegill for live bait they will let you feel like you are still fishing out there. Mind you I never have as much luck with waterdogs as I do with live baitfish.

In strong flow/current you stick the hook through the mouth and hook it out through their lower jaw. In slack water you hook them above and behind their back legs. You can clip the front feet so they don't dig if you bottom rig them. They do work well fished under a bobber for catfish and bass as well.

Only use them in major rivers/reservoirs and not in creeks and streams. They spread around a fungus that will kill our native frogs and salamanders.

6. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    In the 90's they sold huge dawgs. I'm talking 15+" and they did pretty good for flats. Take a syringe shoot em up with air. Not too much or they'll stroke out. Just enough air and they'll float of the bottom, wiggle great and will not get hung up. Only problem is i can't find the xtra large ones in about 10 years and the smaller ones just plain suck for flatties.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    We use them here in New Mexico. The best size around here is any under 6" I never have a problem with them burying up. They are going for 7.00 a doz here,I used to sein and sell them in my early 20s sold them for.25 each.

8. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Sometimes you see large ones at bait shops. At Roosevelt last year I saw some of the largest ones I had ever seen. I don't like the cost either. Where can they be caught in the wild, I was told they are sometimes in high elevation ponds around Payson.Does anyone raise them locally, where?

9. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    I have been using waterdogs off and on over the past several years with mixed results. I have had large flatties take them, small ones, channel cats and turtles...They attract all sorts of things.

If you want to fish with them, hook them through the bottom of the jaw and up through the top of the head. If the waterdog is larger than about eight inches, put a stinger hook through the tail just behind the back legs.

All catfish that I have seen will grab the waterdog from the tail and run with it. If the waterdog is large, you will want the fish to run for a while. If you set the hook too early, you will miss it.

Honestly, my recommendation for Bartlett would be to go for bluegill. They are plentiful and have worked well for many other anglers.

Ryan

10. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    thanks for all the great info guys! if this storm passes over I will be headed out tues. evening to bartlett. I guess i will be loading up on gills and searching for big ones! I will be sure to let y'all know how it goes!

11. bigfisher17

bigfisher17 New Member

State:
    arizona
    yes someone does this guy sells and breeds them here and he sells them to fishermans choice tried to get the number but of course they didnt give it out :sad2:

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    get a field and stream magizine go to the back where the classified ads are.theres people there who ship bait of all kinds all over the world.i use to get leaches and waterdogs from a store in indiana called bait mans.he ships in styrofoam boxes and if you send the container back you can save half the shiping fees.

13. catman13

catman13 New Member

State:
    ARIZONA
    stik with the bluegill just keepem alive:roll_eyes:

14. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Waterdogs are really good bait. Wish we could get em here like we use to. The bigger ones work best for the big fish though. If they are on the small side the bass will sometimes bite the tail off :angry:

:cool2:

15. azfisher

azfisher Member

State:
    arizona
    you can get them at fishermans choice on thunderbird and 43rd ave they are pricey though they also have minnows. Some time they are out though. hope this helps.:big_smile:

16. AZBADBOYCATFISH

AZBADBOYCATFISH New Member

State:
    PHOENIX ARIZONA
    hey brotha got that number to wildhorse west 623-566-0740. 8415 w. carefree hwy. they carry waterdogs.

17. catfishhunter007

catfishhunter007 New Member

State:
    arizona
    theres a lil store just outside globe on the way to roosevelt that sells waterdogs. ive never once stopped in there and there not be any dogs for sale.

18. elkczun1

elkczun1 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I am new here but yep they always have dogs at that little store. We use to own it...... Killmer's Kountry Store. My Dad used to keep me knee deep in cow s@%t seinging them out of the stock tanks..... Good bait.

19. bass or bass?

bass or bass? New Member

State:
    North Phoenix Arizona
    They are $1 apiece at Fishermans Choice. I've only bought them twice and only bought 6 each time. Happy fishing.
    ~N.A.F.C.~B.A.S.S.~BoatU.S.~N.R.A.~