Waterdogs (mudpuppies)

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by philcat, Jun 29, 2006.

1. philcat

philcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    dose anyone in Dayton or in that area now where you can get waterdogs (mudpuppies) for sale or catch them for bait. thanks

2. akilliss

akilliss New Member

State:
    Dayton Ohio
    is that the same thing as a goby? if so we catch goby all the time in lake erie trolling for walleye

3. philcat

philcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    no it is a salamander images.jpg

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Phil Find a clean stream and try seining for them. If you can , have someone go in front of you turing over rocks. I only know of 2 places around here that we catch them and then not very often.

5. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I used to catch my own in old silted up stock ponds. I would walk in about 2 foot of water around the banks with a long stick and just slowly walk and probe around with the stick. Seems the older and more silted up the pond is the better not sure why.

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Phil, the only time I can catch them is in winter or early spring, I always catch them on cut-shad or once on live silver dollar goldfish but only when the water is cold. I've never caught one after April. My cousin and I even caught four on our tip-ups one time through the ice at Burr-Oak lake on minnows. The main theme with me catching them though is " FISH ". They seem to prefer that over worms or any other bait.

7. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Put Out Minnow Traps..i Catch Em All The Time

8. BamaCats

BamaCats Member

State:
    Alabama
    we used to catch them all the time here, but the made it illegal now. but we used to go in the branches and streams and turn over logs and rocks and find them.

9. akilliss

akilliss New Member

State:
    Dayton Ohio
    im not sure how big they are but i catch the little newts all the time to use for smallmouth when there on nests. but newts are small. iv never seen a mud puppy around wear i live

10. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I have never caught one or used one for bait. But many Ohio members here, someone will be able to help ya.

Also, welcome to the BOC, always great to have another new member from Ohio.

11. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ive caught them at Alum Creek Resevoir 2 in 1 day and yes it was early spring late wintertime. Caught off of worms

12. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

here in NC you can not fish with them, they are protected

13. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    They're protected here too! They are a great indicator of habitat quality. They're external lungs/gills are larger in well oxygenated waters. Slippery lil' devils anyway! lol

14. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    sorry man i cant help ya. but i know a creek full of the newts its 4 mile in seven mile ohio.