Water turning

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by zappaf19, Oct 5, 2006.

1. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I have not had much luck catching crappie and was telling a friend that. He told me to wait till the water turns. I have heard the older fisherman say that but never knew what it was. My friend told me that what causes the water to turn is when the suface water turns colder than the bottom water, the top water sinks and the bottom water comes up. Thats when the crappies and big gills come up too. That makes sence to me but is it true? I have noticed that in mid Oct. the fish are up.
    Bill

2. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Just got back from crappie fishing. The lake just turned over here. Was catching them between 3-6 feet deep in about 20ft of water...mainly small fish with a couple "keepers."

3. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    A pond out by me has been turning but I've not been having any luck at all...

4. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    That is turning in a nutshell. What turning is is the cooler water on top sinking and the warmer water on bottom coming up. this happens in cycles. The important aspects of this are 1. obviously this creates a more uniform water temp. and 2. it takes water on top, full of oxygen, and takes it to bottom. this allows fish to go to depths they could not during the summer. aka-is dissipates the thermocline.

I have noticed that biting can be affected by this but not to that degree. Crappie move shallow in the fall and there is oxygen there. If you are still having trouble try fishing moving water like creeks-these don't experience turnover and IMO seem to be more stable for crappie fishing.

5. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    yeah water table takin' a flip (turning over) can bring the fish shallow enough to be easier to catch, but Im not really sure that get more aggresive because of it

6. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Never heard of that termed that way before but it makes sense. I'll see what my my local watering hole is doing here in a couple of hours though. We're heading out to do some squirrel fishing. Crappie pole in one hand and a shotgun in the other.:0a22: