Water Temps ....

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by RetiredToFish, May 15, 2008.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    This time of year one of the more important aspects of fishing is to watch the water temps. The water temps, in a large part, are what is going to determine fish movement and the spawning run. The water temps in lakes were coming along fine until the past weekend when we had 2.90 inches of rain in central Ohio. Temps at Buckeye Lake a week before the rain were ranging in the 65 to 67 degrees. After the cold rain and accompaning winds, Tuesday on Buckeye temp was back down to 59 degrees.

The 3 items that will cause the drastic temp drop are wind, rain and cold nights. We had all three of them. The sad part is there is more of that heading our way over the next week. So, at this rate the spawn may not get here until July when the water temps can get to about 70 degrees.

I guess we will at least have something to look forward too. ... Garry- :cool2:

2. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    thats the truth,one day it will be spring,thanks for the info

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Last night Salt Fork, water up 3-4 feet, warm rain water temp 62-64 degrees.

Fish... VERY sporadic.

4. Sunburn

Sunburn New Member

State:
    Williamsto
    Water temp or moon phase? I'd always been taught that bass spawn on the full moon in May around Ohio and West Virginia. This year there is no way the water will be warm enough I don't think. That is next tues. by the way. What say you folks? Thanks for your time...

5. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Phil .... I have found over the years by keeping accurate records that moon phase didn't make as much difference as some of the other variables, such as water temp, water height, barometer and the duration of each. I have heard the same stories of bass, bluegill and catfish .... and haven't found the moon phase makes that much difference ...... Garry-

6. Sunburn

Sunburn New Member

State:
    Williamsto
    So much of what we're "learned" is most often not learned first hand. Your info seems to be that which you've learned yourself and therefore is much more valuable to folks like myself than second hand hearsay! Thanks again.

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    It is definatley shaping up to be an interesting pattern this year, if I remember correctly, the lake I fished flatheads last year had already started to spawn at the end of April. I hate to say it, but as much as I love the warm temps of spring and summer, the constant cool temps of winter make fishing alot more productive and easier for me. Needless to say, I no longer have to dread winter, infact I am looking foward to it. Maybe its time to start dreading spring in ohio???:eek:oooh:

8. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Well it looks like the temps of the water will be going down even further to night .... at 1:05 AM Saturday morning the air temp is 43 degrees. Even though the wind is only 2 mph out of the southwest .... it is probably enough disturbance of the surface water to cause it to cool even more. I am anxious to see what it will drop to by morning .... Garry- :angry: