Water temps

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by surfchunker, Feb 19, 2007.

1. surfchunker

surfchunker New Member

State:
    maryland
    Well it's going to warm up this week and that got me to thinking .... well I've been thinking about it for a while ......... at what temps do cats start moving ... like from the winter holes ... what temp do they shutdown ....

I have a low water damn on the Potomac 1/2 mile from my house ... one side is deep and the other side is more shallow with less flow ... going to try and get a couple pics and see what people think would be the best spots to fish it .... caught the biggest one so far up close to the damn on the deep side .... well the Mrs did but we have caught cats in all of it ... hard to keep the bullheads away with liver or worms .... dough baits are a little better .... even turtles are bad in warm water ....

Thanks

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    What dam to you fish on the potomac and Then I can help as I have fished it from dam 5 down to smallwood state park on the lower potomac for over 30 years. low water dam is that at williamport.md

3. surfchunker

surfchunker New Member

State:
    maryland
    The one right in Cumberland Md city ... there is a couple more right down stream from Cumberland that they suspose to be taking down ... at some old Plants .... Wills creek flows in about 150 yards or so down stream from the dam and also there is an old train trestle there too .... then about 3/4 mile down is a deep hole too ... gonna try and get a couple pics today

4. surfchunker

surfchunker New Member

State:
    maryland
    at the top of the dam is a huge long jam too right in the middle of the river on a bridge piling .... I've fished that side some without much luck but never was able to get my bait close to the Jam ... gonna use bigger rods and reel with more weight .... it's gotta be a flat head haven

5. surfchunker

surfchunker New Member

State:
    maryland
    It's on the North Branch of the Potomac

6. surfchunker

surfchunker New Member

State:
    maryland
    here is a picture of the dam in Cumberland Md of the North Branch of the Potomac
    Potomac.jpg

Potomac 2.jpg

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    it seems when the water gets around 55the bite picks up and when it gets down to around the same temp they slow back down.

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well you will have mostly Channels and Bullheads there. I have seen a report of a few flatheads up that way as well, but thier was small ones.
    You can catch them in the winter but the bite slows way down and you will need to feel or hold onto the line to know when they are eating the bait. They mostly sjowly suck the bait into there mouth and move very little. You can sometime fill the bait being sucked in and can set a hook then, Fishing will be slow and hard. I would say mid March will be a good time to start starting the bite turning on again.

9. surfchunker

surfchunker New Member

State:
    maryland
    The best fishing so far seems to be on the near side-deep side ... in the second pic you can see the railing coming down the side and where it flatens out we set and cast back up towards the dam mostly .... heavy current and very rocky ... there seems to be one large rock in the water that creates a nice break ... I think that is where the Mrs monster came from .....

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I see the cats bite turns off when the Water temps get cold.

11. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    Based on my experience, cats seem okay with pretty cold water as long as it has been cold for a length of time. The thing that seems to mess it all up is when the water temperature suddenly drops. That switches them off damn quickly in the places I fish... :)

12. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Good lord Mike !!! What do you use for bait for those fish ??? Live goats ......small donkeys.... Thats huge....

13. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    :smile2: Thanks Foxhound! They can eat far bigger stuff than you could reasonably stick on a line. And they will take really small things too. In fact they eat just about anything they want! There aren't too many water birds on my rivers... Seriously though, I've had them on baits of a few ounces; on whole dead chickens; whole eels; walleye; squid; pellets, but my favourite bait is a carp between 2 and 4 pounds, live or dead.

Tight lines to you and everyone at the BOC.

And Spring is nearly here. I figure the action will be hotting up for everyone really soon! :)