Water temps in cold weather

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by 1sporticus, Feb 16, 2007.

1. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi BOC family, I was talking with a friend about geo thermal heating the other day, and what I was wondering is, are water temps like digging in the dirt. Ground temps are 56 degrees at 6' down. I assume somebody has done a study on this, but I couldn't find anything on line. So does anybody have any knowledge about this? Later Andy

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Water temp will very top being colder mostly .At times you can have a packet of water in the middle that can be warmer than the top or bottom. This will most of the time be where the fish hold and feed.I have found that when you find this the fish in deeper water will not be feeding only the ones in the warmer water packet will be feeding. I have been out with a underwater camera that reads water temps as well.in say 30 feet of water you may have a packet of 6' or so around the middle that well be around 5 degrees warmer than the bottom and maybe 10 degrees warm than the top water temps. This was holding lots of catfish and lots of bait fish as well.

3. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    The warm pocket your talking about is I believe to be called the thermalcline. When trolling for lake trout for instance, the thermalcline may only be a band of water 5 ft wide 20 ft off the bottom in 100ft of water. The warmer teps hold bait and fish. In the summer months the thermal will be just opposite. it will actually be cooler than the surrounding water. Many factors will affect the size and depth including current, weather patterns even water usage. hope this helps....

dru

4. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey thanks guys, I was curious about this. All I get on my fish finder is top water temps. How does ice effect the deeper water temps? Later Andy