Water temperature...

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by KATTERMAN, Sep 24, 2007.

1. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    hello everyone,i have read & heard that flatheads in the fall start biting good because they are bulking up for winter,does anyone know if it is the water temp that triggers this or the shorter days.if it is water temp does anyone know what it would be to start flats to feed heavy in fall i have talked to some locales here that say sept some say oct,but the way are climate is these days we could have real nice weather here until late oct or it might be as early as late sept.so i figured if i knew the water temp that triggered them to start feeding up and moving towards wintering spots i could get a better handle on when i need to start fishing hard for them.thanks for any info u can give me

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Not sure it will help much, since I am all the way down here in South Carolina, but I have found them moving deeper and feeding well in 75 degree water. Our summertime high is over 90 degrees, though.

I know some folks up north probably only have 75 degrees as the high in the summer.

3. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I caught 2 last week,22lb,27lb ,The locals tell me they are heading for the lake to winter , altho some stay in the river all year long. The season ends on the Fox this Sat. (for bankpoles and setlines )

4. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    A flathead usually is totally dormant in the winter i watched a flathead video this week with guide Denny Halgren it showed flatheads in 35 degree water totally dormant laying on top of each other. You could almost pick them up without them moving. he sais over the years fishing that they usually quit biting with the water temperature around 47 degrees. i have pulled in two this week one 43# and a 48# I also seen a another 48-49# brought in over the weekend are water temperature is about 79 degrees right now. i would say these fish start gorging around 75 degrees would probably be a good guess. I use to target them in southern arizona and the bite was alright to about late october and then would fall. Here in southern indiana I would say the flathead bite is good to late september to begining october depending on the year. I do know one thing the flathead bite is not better in the winter. I hear you can still catch the big blues in the winter so I guess Ill be blue fishing over the winter. hope this helps.

5. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    THANKS FOR THE INFO SOUNDS LIKE 75° IS THE TICKET.OUR RIVER HERE IS STILL ABOUT 80 SO IT WILL NOT BE LONG BEFORE THEY SHOULD START MOVING AROUND AND FEEDING MORE THANKS AGAIN

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Roger, If you havent yet aquainted yourself with the guys at In-Fisherman, you need to do so now. They put out a magizine called the Catfish-Insider every year. And if you look, they have back issues to 1998. Which hold many great articles. I admit, I have only been catfishing since 98'. But the bulk of the information I used to catch my first flathead, I got from reading those early issues and their book Catfish Fever. Then I found the family here at the BOC. Put it all together and you cannot fail to catch catfish. Before long you will be the expert. The best weapon of the catfisherman is knowledge.

7. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Right Skip--and this is the BEST place to get that knowledge. I also read In-Fisherman, and it's a great mag..But there is no way a print magazine can be as current (or local)as the information we get from the thousands of unpaid, but highly motivated, reporters on this site!!Ok--I'm through suckin' up now.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yes in-fisherman is a good place for no how. they had a frosty flathead clip were they went after flathead in the winter. they dont necessarily go dormant they migrate making them hard to catch because if youre not in the hole they migrated to you cant catch them, if you find the hole they are in you need to put them back were you found them because they move so far away that a stringer full could screw up fishing for a tributairy.:eek:oooh:

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Out in Eastern PA, the flatties start biting good at around 75 degrees to. So I guess the consensus says 75 degrees. Wehave had 90 degree weather here in the last week so I think the bite will continue well into October.