Water temperature in bait tanks

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by feetdown, May 7, 2007.

1. feetdown

feetdown New Member

State:
    ohio
    What seems to be ideal temp. for keeping bat alive and well in tanks?
    I have a chest style freezer I converted to a livewell. Im not sure what temperature to shoot for.

Have about 40-50 gills in it now and dont want to lose them....

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i can't tell you what temp. is the exact best, but can say since i moved my tank into my garage from the shed my bait loss was cut in half. my garage is under my house and when kept shut stays in the low to mid 60 range. of course if i leave the door open it is much warmer. i kept baits from last october through the winter up until i starting fishing hard a month ago. i lost only 4 or 5 all winter. i have a couple dozen gills in there now. i don't think being much cooler would help me much esp. in the hot months. you really have to watch shocking your baits. i would say if your having a problem with your tank turning over, make sure you have a big enough pump to aerate your tank properly. try keeping less bait for a while. or maybe try to change 10 to 15 gal a day to keep your tank cooler. and of course you could move it to another area better suited for a cooler enviroment if possible. you will just have to toy with your setup to find the best situation. hope this helps alittle.:smile2:

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I leave my tub in the garage at room temp. In the winter I don't change the water nor feed them nearly as often. In summer I use less water and change every 2-3 days as I don't filter. I have chemicals for the chlorine. When I chang water it is just water from the hose. Haven't had much trouble with mortality... although I don't really keep them long and usually try to catch fresh to keep up a supply.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    All good info above. Outa the sun and keepin the water movein and circulateing is a plus.

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thats a good point loanwizard made. if you need to treat clorine, then do so. The reason bait don't feed much in the winter or months your tank is cooler, is their metabolism slows so much you can virtually go all winter and not feed them. however, you could be a nice guy and drop them something. i almost feel like my bait i have kept all winter is like a pet to me in the spring. well, sort of:lol: they still get the hook! the best advice i can give is, keep your tank clean, cool, and not overpopuated. and i treat my tank with white salt, and sure life's better bait. if you guys haven't tried it i would suggest you try. your bait stays healthy, and they go totally wild !!!!!!

6. sscreekchub91

sscreekchub91 New Member

State:
    indiana

im not sure either i keep killing mine