water temp ?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Rayin Virginia, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Rayin Virginia

Rayin Virginia New Member

State:
    virginia
    Seems water is still pretty warm here in Va. even though we fish @ night all night mostly..but dont seem to be doing much good .. with all the different areas im sure we have been in the right places.. so that brings up the subject of the water temp. what temp would you say is ideal for the big uns ? Its getting closer to fall so i know the temp will soon be dropping .. Just hoping to catch the water temp in the right zone and hopefully lock onto a nice one ..

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    thats a great question bro.! i never really thought about an "ideal temp", just cared about warm enough in spring and too cold in fall. it dont seam like it gets too warm up here for them in summer. maybe try a day run and fish in their beds(deep in the jambs)? if the water has been low they seam to spread way out and hunt for food at night. the holes probably get ate out so they have to roam come mid summer.

3. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    Im pretty sure that all fish have a higher metabolism with higher temperatures. Higher metabolism means they have to eat more to maintain/gain body weight. I dont think big flats "lay up" as much in the hotter months as most people think they do.

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    A few years ago there was an article published in an Arizona wildlife magazine on this subject. I dont recall a certain temp. being listed as optimal for flatties. It did however note that some flats that had been tagged were tracked and caught again miles away form where they were originally caught over the course of a few nights. Most had traveled quite a distance and returned to their original spot but some of the younger ones stayed on the move.

I dont know what the temps are where you are at but out here the air temp at 1:00 am can still hang around the low 90's. Whenever the water temp is at it's annual warmest, i would guess that these big cats might take advantage of it at night?

5. Rayin Virginia

Rayin Virginia New Member

State:
    virginia
    thanks for the replies guys ..some very interesting points indeed ...Its not long until we start going going into another season and our water temp will be starting to decline. that brought up the idea to me since we have not been having all that great of luck during these hot Months catching flats if those same areas would produce fish once the temp starts down or hit a certain point. Around here most say or think the Spring and Fall are the best times to catch nice cats. I was just wondering if the water Temp really had that much to do with it. thanks again

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Fish will be getting active as water temps fall into the 70's. When it is really hot out, they stay in deep holes and don't feed as much, as fall comes the bite will increase for winter fat! The best time to catch real big cats is when the water temp is about 55-65 degrees, they are very active during this time. Huge blues can be caught all year round if you find the deep holes!