Water Temp.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by misterwhiskers, Jan 7, 2006.

1. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    The sonar i use gives me a reading for the surface temp,
    My question is,has anyone gotten the tempature below the surface?

I'm sure there is a difference in temp.,but how much? I would think the deeper the water the warmer it should be.

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Why wouldn't a indoor outdoor thermometer work, only thing you would be limited to the depth by the length of the outdoor sensor wire. Or a conventional type mercury thermometer, weighted and attached to a spare rod. Might be a couple of degrees off by the time you got it to the surface and reading taken.

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    misterwhisker it depends on what your fishing if in a River the Temp will be close to the same from the surface down to the bottom because of the current. In a Lake you may have some places where the temp is warmer deeper but most of the time it is colder just due to lack of sunlight to warm it.

4. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    long ago i had this doohickey for testing such. was a small analog meter with about thirty feet of wire connected to a lead weight. toss the weight over the side and watch the needle move to tell you the temp at that depth. i never used it for much and wrote it off as a useless fishing toy. no clue where the thing is now.???