Water Temp ?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by rks1949, Oct 14, 2009.

1. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We were fishing last week,and the water temp was 57 degrees. We didn't catch a thing,except 1 sturgon (on a night crawler.) We also drifted some jugs with night crawlers on them,and nothing?:confused2: When do the Channel cat's stop biting,in relation to water temps? We allways manage to catch a few fish,even on bad days,but just about got "skunked" on this trip. A older guy we ran into while fishing, said that the channel's don't bite well in water temps below 60 degrees?:eek:oooh: Ron

2. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    not really sure. the water temp in the lake i fish at is around 65 on an educated guess. ive been catchin em on the trotline all week. i got a 2lber outside right now waitin to be cleaned.

3. fnddragn

fnddragn New Member

State:
    North Caro
    The way I understand it is that fish feed all year round, they don't stop when the water gets cold. Being that they are cold blooded they will slow down when the water temp falls, but they still feed. Maybe not as often, or as aggressively, so it all comes down to being in the right place at the right time. So fish more and fish more often!

4. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    I've caught Channel cats all year long using sunny's stink bait. Works best as soon as it gets dark to about 2 or 3 hours afther.

5. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks,guy's! The water (river) was high,so maybe that had something to do with it? I wasn't sure about the water temp. Thanks,Ron

6. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    high water can scatter fish

7. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I catch channel cats all year year long. We catch fish when the water temp. is at 33deg. Normal cold days we will catch them in deep water, and warm sunny days with cold water will catch them in 5' or less near deep water. Just on sat. with water temps around 57 degrees we caught channel cats in 1' of water and less. We could see the fish tailing in the shallow water. Check out the indiana rivers section "trip for blues". Dont ever stop fishing or exploring, something new can be just the ticket.

8. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Active Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Channel cats feed all year long (even under the ice) up here in the north we catch many many fish in the spring when the water temp hits about 50 degrees and rising.

In the fall as it cools they do slow down. You can still find them in the holes and might have to wait them out but they will bite. In winter (under the ice) they don't feed near as much so you have to wait for them to get in the mood. Sometimes they only feed for a few minutes then it becomes being int he right place at the right time.

I suspect the higher water you describe has more to do with the lack of bite than the water temp.