Water temp?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Blake Waterworth, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Blake Waterworth

Blake Waterworth New Member

State:
    Missouri
    At what tempature do you guys start fishing the outside bends and the tips of the dikes instead of the wintering holes? I Know there is a ton of different situations but Just looking for a little help?

2. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    on my home river the winter water temps usually get into the lower 40s and this puts the blues into a winter pattern. usually by mid feburary we start getting some warmer days and the temp will start fluctuating into the upper 40s to low 50s. when the temps start hitting the mid to high 50s the blues start a pretty good bite. this past february i couldnt get a bite in the winter holes after the temp hit 50 and above. the fish had moved into the mid depth water outside the holes. when the temp hit the upper 50s in early march i was catching them in the swifter water where they had started feeding with vigor. i fish by drifting and bottom bouncing and in the high 50s and low 60s the blues were really going for the moving baits. i'm not an anchor fisherman but to answer your question from my experience i'd say when the water starts to warm and hits the 50s they should be leaving the winter holes and start a pretty good bite.

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    We catch Blues all winter long on deep water and water as shallow as 6-8 feet when water is 39 degrees. The cats go where the shad are.

4. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa

Gotta Agree with that. A lot of guys think deep water in the winter, But finding them in the shallow water chasing bait is definitely a good bet. Has paid off many times. Specially when the sun is out and the shad head for the mudflats. More times then not, the blues aren't far away.

5. Blake Waterworth

Blake Waterworth New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for posting guys. Looks like once the temps hit 50 or better the bight starts to really turn on! They are showing really nice weather with temps in the 70's all next week. Hope this is the end of the cold weather!!

6. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Yep. Find their food and you find them. I think that stands true for about any species of fish.

7. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    That's a big 10-4 !! & if ya use the bait they're feeding on, you got it licked.

We always say, "Match the hatch":cool2: