water temp questions

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by GoCatGo, Mar 12, 2008.

1. GoCatGo

GoCatGo New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I just got into flathead fishing this past July and am really hooked on it now. I have never started a season in the early spring, so I'm not sure about a lot of things pertaining to early fishing.

My questions are:

1) How early in the year can a guy consider making an effort to fish them. Keep in mind that right now the Mississippi river, in Wisconsin, has a foot of ice on the major portion of it. That should start to change in the next week or two.

2) After the ice goes out, at what temp do the flatties get active?

2. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Jim,
    Most here say that the magic number is somewhere around 55 degrees. The Flatties get active at that temp and start looking for food. rspd507

3. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    When the ice is gone start fishing and keep track of when you start catching flatheads,keep us posted.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I am not a flathead fisherman, but I do notice a large number of them being caught by bass fishermen when the waters hit the 60 degree mark. All of my flatheads have come in water above 60 degrees.

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    55 is the magic number here in Ohio. Consider though that some have been caught in colder temps especially late fall and early winter. :wink:

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I will start when the water hits low to mid fifties.It may start slow but the warmer it gets the more it will pick up.They will be hungry so the earlier the better imo.

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i start around 50 but 60 would be better i think. be sure to keep us updated on your cold waterr sucsess please.

8. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    fifty is a good number but a good hot day will get them to move during the day thats how i track them in the early spring

9. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    I believe when it rains first time and its pretty comfortable to stand in .........may here in missouri is when its good to start.. as early as late april.
    But when creeks are out of banks for couple of weeks things get exciting.

10. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Never seen the rivers around me freeze like that but water in the 50's