Water temp is 50 deg. How deep to fish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by wildturkey, Jan 6, 2010.

1. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    Water surface temp is 50 deg. and colder weather coming. How deep will the catfish be in a lake that is only about 80 ft. deep in the deepest parts? I am just about ready to call it quits on the deer hunting and am ready to start fishing again. Thinking about putting out a couple of trot lines.
    Thanks,
    Jim

2. outdoors1988

outdoors1988 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Year round i do good in water that goes from 15 feet to 25-30 feet and seems to produce. About to set one out myself.

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Local fellow here in AZ, said he was catching them at 50', in a lake.. a week or so ago..

4. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    In Texas that is still pretty cold so I would stay as deep as you can and work your way up from there if it does not produce.

Good Luck

5. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    I took ya'lls advice and went deep the other day and caught a 30# blue at 40 ft.
    Thanks guys.:fingers-crossed:

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Congrats on the catchin Jim!:wink:

7. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    I would look for any freshwater muscle beds & set on them, especially if they are near a drop off or slope to deeper water, also look for submerged structures on or near deep water that holds bait fish. Could be worse, you could have water temps in the upper 40's, haven't caught anything in the last 3 weeks.