Water temp is 48 degrees

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by cajundan, Feb 27, 2006.

1. cajundan

cajundan New Member

State:
    Texas
    What depth will the channel cats be feeding or holding at? I had some trouble yesterday trying to get them to bite on R&R the jugs only produced 3 fish.

2. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    This is taken from the In-Fisherman book:
    "Catfish Fundamentals
    Critical Concepts 1".

Spring Coldwater Period
    Water Teperature: Rising
    General Fish Mood: Neutral to Positive

In rivers, early spring usually means continued cold and turbid water. Northern areas experience snow melt and cold spring rains. Southern areas receive cold spring rains. As the water begins to warm gradually, catfish activity increases.

In early spring, catfish might still spend most of their time in deep holes. Eventually, rising water temperatures stimulate catfish metabolism. No distinct temperature marks this point. In southern regions, where temperatures have been in the 50s, catfish might start feeding when water temperatures reach the low 60 degree F range. In northern regions, 45 degrees F usually means cat will prowl, but temperatures in the upper 50 degree F range are better.

Catfish are moving, but still avoiding direct current. And current is stronger now than during any other time of the year. Fish are concentrated in areas of reduced current - the core of the hole, the deepest spot, but more likely shoreline holding areas.

This is the season for livebaits or sourbaits. Cats can find plenty of fish that have died over winter and are beginning to decompose as water temperatures rise.

Hope this helps to answer your questions. I've found these books to be helpful in narrowing down my searching for fish. It's still early yet - your fish are probably still in wintering holes but getting closer to getting the feed bag on.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    go to the shallowest area on the north/northeast bank, or where feeder creeks come in. the feeder creeks areas are usually warmer because of warmer water coming in from warm spring rains, and the n/nw banks are hit by the suns rays the hardest and the warmer southern/western winds warm them up quicker than other areas. its amazing how shallow you can catch them this early, sometimes as shallow as 2ft.

4. troller

troller New Member

State:
    Georgia
    sounds good. I fish in middle Ga and we were catching on the bottom in 27-32' of water in a public lake. Caught 30 between 12-20"

5. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I fish Kansas, and right now I'm fishing shallows were creeks feed in. Warm water means more food. right now we are in a dry spell. I'm fishing Flats at night and producing a few good eating Cats. I preferre Cold water Cats for eating best. Fishing a prime hole has paid off too. to date: Got my stash of cat steaks and nuggets will last me till spring. Fried taders an onions. :002: . Can't go wrong there.

6. Crash

Crash New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I fish Georgia, and we catch PLENTY of 3-5 lbers in 4-6 feet of water in front of a little waterfall that feeds into the narrow creek off the main lake. I would love to know where it catch the MONSTERS!!!! Deep? Who knows, but I am going to try tomorrow. fyi, the temp right now is 49 degrees.